Dual panel moonroof question

Norad

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Edgecomb Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
So the two cent question is: " how good is the dual panel moonroof?" Is there a lot of road noise when open? is there a lot of air noise when it is open? Also is it worth the $$ What do you all think? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the two cent question is: " how good is the dual panel moon roof?" Is there a lot of road noise when open? is there alot of air noise when it is open? Also is it worth the $$ What do you all think? Thanks
I got the option because it makes the vehicle feel more 'open' and I enjoy having it in the fully open position when running around town. In the tilt position you really wouldn't know that it was open. It is really difficult to see any opening at all. With it retracted I don't find it bad noise wise. You are always going to get some noise. If you open it beyond where it is designed to stop on the first button push you will get more air turbulance. Only the front portion actaully opens. The inside cover is a one piece cover that will allow both panels to be exposed or just the front. You can not have the front covered and the back panal open.
I would suggest that you try one out first to see if it suits you.

Peter

The one thing I wish Ford would have done is make separate shades for front and back like GM and Nissan have.

When the glass is closed I don't notice any more noise from our Explorer without a sunroof.

Wind noise isn't too bad when open! One thing i don't like though is the shade. With the side windows open and the shade back exposing the front panel only the rear flaps around pretty loud.

Glad i have it though!

I would agree with the previous posts stating that the wind noise is definitely acceptable. I also have a Lexus RX with a regular sunroof and I would say the wind noise is equal. Personally I think the dual panel moon roof makes the interior of my ex look really nice. I have a friend with a XLT with no moon roof/dual moon roof and we wishes he had the dual moon roof. I personally don't even open my moonroof often and I still think it is worth the extra money just for the way it makes the interior seem more open.

Love it. I use the sunroof all the time. Cold Fall weather with the heat on high, and warm Spring/Summer weather with the AC on. Makes for a nicer day.

I haven't had any issues or complaints with it...i love it

The rear panel on my 2011 rattled like crazy. So far so good with the 2013.

Only had my XLT a few days and was not aware of leak issues on seams and the moonroof until I found it here just after I bought, so keeping my fingers crossed on that, but otherwise I love the dual moonroof for reasons mentioned and wind noise is not an issue at all.

Seems from what I read, for those that have leaks, some are the moonroof, but most are seams in the rear where the roof rack is attached or the tailgate as most of the leak issues are in the third seat row.

And while the issue exists, it may seem worse than it is as those with that issue seek out the problem from a Google and find it here, though it is nothing to sneeze at if you have that issue.

I am on the opposite side of this, i don't really like sunroofs at all and ordered my sport specifically so I could get one without the sun roof. I like it better without and have never one wished I had it, especially since it's a couple thousand dollar option.

Too bad our Audi didn't have the option to pass on the sun roof. In the four years we've had the car i don't think it's been opened more then a dozen times.

I've often wondered why manufactures changed the name from 'sunroof' to 'moonroof'?:scratch::dunno:

Peter

Back in the 1960's and early 70's sunroofs did not have glass - sliding body painted metal that opened and were called "sunroofs" for when you open them and the sun came in.

With the advent of the glass within the sliding roof panel that became called a "moonroof" because you could see the sky night or day when the sliding roof panel was closed.

I guess if they first invented it with glass they would have been called a sunroofs and never changed the name.

Moonroof was for marketing to differentiate between a a metal topped sunroof you could not see through when closed.

I've often wondered why manufactures changed the name from 'sunroof' to 'moonroof'?:scratch::dunno:

Peter

Sunroof is a metal panel that opens and moonroof is a glass panel that also opens. At least the way I understand it.

tmg beat me by a minute! :)

Thank you for those clarifications. I guess the term moonroof is also a little more romantic. ;)

Peter

My understanding is that the manufacturers moved away from metal sun/moon roofs to glass mainly because of problems with rust on the metal. The issue is that the sun/moon roof does not come into direct contact with the rest of the car's body because the sun/moon roof is insulated by a rubber gasket. The car's anti-rust system cannot protect the sun/moon roof. Using glass eliminates that problem.

I have the dual moon roof. Kids love to have their interior panel open in the back so they can look out and its nice to pull air out of the cabin without having to open the windows with the front one. The tilt feature has no noticebale noise difference and even fully open there is a wind deflector/straightener that pops up at the front that keeps the noise down, no issues with it. Still smooth cruising with it open.

One note of caution based on my experience. I had a moonroof on my 2004 Expedition which I really enjoyed; however, about 2 years ago the roof started leaking from the roof near the driver sunvisor. The entire moorroof had to be replaced (>$1,100) because the new gasket couldn't fit tight enough around the old moonroof. There was just a slight difference in the fit, but it was enough to make a difference. Apparently I had opened/closed that sunroof a few too many times. My new Explorer has the moonroof option, so I've decided that I'll only be opening the shade, & not opening the glass. I really like the way that sliding open the shade brightens up the interior.

I would never order a explorer with one but it can with the sport package. It doesn't make any noise but mine has been in 3 time for leaking and the dummy's and the dealer can't fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would never order a explorer with one but it can with the sport package. It doesn't make any noise but mine has been in 3 time for leaking and the dummy's and the dealer can't fix it.

I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, Joeda3902. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer; I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back