Dual Shocks vs Monotube? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Shocks vs Monotube?

W

wifin

So I have been searching around the threads and maybe haven't enough but this question occurred to me. There are so many shocks and so many opinions out there about which are best. But what are the advantages of a dual shock or a single shock? Any disadvantages as well? What is better for an SUV off road?
Thank you for any responses! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on your driving and your modifications. Do you have oversize tires? Do you drive on rough surfaces at high speeds?

Monotube shocks are better than dual tube. They cost more, but IMO they are worth it. Advantages are stock mounting, disadvantage is single valving.

Dual shocks advantages are different valving options, better heat disipation. Disadvantages are custom mounting required.

I am sure others can provide additional input. IMO if you drive mostly on the street at normal speeds with stock size tires, then a monotube shock will be an adequate and satisfing modification.

I currently do not have over size tires. I do drive on the road alot but do want to start taking the Mounty off roading some more. No heavy rock climbing. Mainly mudding and dirt trails. I do want to get some all terrain tires soon. I was lookin at the Rancho 9000xls that can adjust to what you would like

I would recommend that you consider a monotube single shock setup. I can't say enough good things about a Bilstien 5100. I have them on my stock Ranger (Level II) and my Explorer (33s). I will sometimes use them pretty hard. Very rarly do they fade.

I believe that KBY makes a monotube shock that is a little cheaper.

I suggest modifing tire pressure to reflect terrrain conditions instead of shocks. But that is my opinion.

also depends what youll be doing. im doin a duelshock now. doin baja runns is why im doin em tho. stiffer and stronger

Northern Virginia does not have any deserts. There are some beaches, but I believe the speed limit is like 25-mph. The sand is pretty soft and there aren't any big jumps.

Back