dual valves springs OK with stock cam? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dual valves springs OK with stock cam?

woodco100

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt rare 5 spd 4WD
My 1996 4.0 ohv needs heads bad. I want to upgrade to the 422 cam in the future when I rebuild. Can I bolt on new 95tm with the dual comp cam springs and delta rockers now with the stock cam. What length pushrods work? Stock or Smiths. Then reuse these heads when I do the full rebuild next year? Will it hurt the cam/lifters? I have no lifter noise now and plenty of oil pressure at the stock gauge.

Or should I just throw on some stock rebuilt heads for now and save for the full rebuild in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Woody :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well just so you know your stock oil gauge isn't really a gauge. So you can't really say you have plenty of oil pressure since you really don't know what you have. It works more like a dummy light. The oil pressure sending unit is just a on off switch. It sends power to a resistor that makes the oil pressure gauge jump to the center.

well, I have sufficient oil pressure to activate the switch and keep the lifters quiet. Of course dual springs are tougher on lifters. Likely I will drop the pan and put in the high volume melling when I do the heads. My real concern is if it will tear up the cam with the increased pressure form the dual springs. Still doing my research.

Dual springs won't hurt anything.some fyi for you tho.they don't make TRUE 95tm heads anymore.engine quest was the only company. All the rest are 98tm heads.next don't use delta ANYTHING, go with sealed power rockers.last pusrods will be stock size till you upgrade the cam.use smith brothers.I always suggest the m328 pump, helps a lot for the poor oiling design of the ohv

To me to build it twice is a waste. Your need all new upper gaskets and heads bolts all over again.I would build once.why even do anything to it now?

So what is my best bet? Allied Motor Parts has stock 95tm heads on ebay at a good price. They claims to be experts in head Remanufacturing. Specializing in crack prone heads It is worth trying to save stock 95s or should I just buy new 98s.

http://alliedmotorparts.com/

I could send them my cores to rebuild/repair.

Thanks, Woody

So what is my best bet? Allied Motor Parts has stock 95tm heads on ebay at a good price. They claims to be experts in head Remanufacturing. Specializing in crack prone heads It is worth trying to save stock 95s or should I just buy new 98s.

http://alliedmotorparts.com/

I could send them my cores to rebuild/repair.

Thanks, Woody
Those are rebuilt, not a new cast..
Problem with ford heads is they crack in many different spots and unpredictable. This was more so on the earlier gens (90tm&93tm) what's wrong with yours? The difference in the 95&98 is just the exhaust ports.in stock form 95 flow more but you would never feel the difference without other work done.then most shops prefer to start port work with 98 tm.also SI stopped making valves for them so only option is Manley and they run $450.so unless you plan on dumping A LOT of money into it then I wouldn't stress which head you use.

The reason the 95 tm was so used or wanted is because people was bolting them on first gen blocks.this would increase your compression and flow.add in a 422 cam, SI Valves and its a pretty big difference without tearing into the lower block or machine work.

Another option IF your doing a whole rebuild is to get EQ 93tm heads and use first gen pistons.that will keep you at 9:1 and give you the same flow numbers as the 95tm but in a new cast.but if you bolt them on before you switch to 90-94 pistons you will drop your compression to 8:1

I wanted to run the early piston with the 95 head at 10:1. Headers and the 422

Are the EQ heads that good? Thanks for all the info and advice.

So no more SI valves, this is getter better by the minute. Give me an honest opinion on this build I if run the eQ95s with stock valves, dual springs, sealed power rockers, 422, smith push rods, 94 pistons, melling pump and headers. Stock bottom end and good gasket set.

Thanks, Woody

I wanted to run the early piston with the 95 head at 10:1. Headers and the 422

Are the EQ heads that good? Thanks for all the info and advice.

Gotcha. I personally liked them.they flow pretty good out the box.now they did have a problem with a batch and I believe reason they stopped making them.they just didn't sell many of the 95tm and add in the bad batch.I've used all three of their models and some on other cars when they first came out.there is other good heads out there tho, just not new cast 95tm or none I've found.Alabama heads (98tm) was my second choice but appear they have gone out of business or having their own problems. Trust me unless you have a lot of work done you won't feel the difference in the two heads.personally I would lean towards having yours cleaned and then checked.but bad part is good heads tend to crack after removal, machining, installation and added pressure from cam/dual springs.so a good head that check out ok is more prone to crack after running and installed:(

You can always have yours treated and relive some of the stress in it..

http://www.cartercryo.com/cryogenic-engines.html

So no more SI valves, this is getter better by the minute. Give me an honest opinion on this build I if run the eQ95s with stock valves, dual springs, sealed power rockers, 422, smith push rods, 94 pistons, melling pump and headers. Stock bottom end and good gasket set.

Thanks, Woody

Combined with the right gears your have a nice little motor.don't think it will be super fast or anything but will have what it should have stock and be reliable.you will have to run 90+ gas tho.your take around a 140ish maybe less to ground to a 190ish to the ground so 50-60 ish hp.its up to you if the cost of the gains is worth it or not.but you do get a new nice cam sounding motor;)

should I just save the money and use new 98s. Are there any good valve choices out there without spending $450. Is it worth running the 422 cam and dual springs with stock valves?

My 4.1 front diff is being built right now, my limited slip 4.10 is outside waiting to be installed. I run 30s or 31s. My company pays for the gas!
Thanks, Woody

should I just save the money and use new 98s. Are there any good valve choices out there without spending $450. Is it worth running the 422 cam and dual springs with stock valves?

No choices for valves.all one off custom made.SI valves were stock size.they were called port flow tho, flowed just a little better, lighter and are one piece. That was why most used them stock is a two piece design and with added pressure from dual springs and people pushing higher rpms they were prone to cracking the heads off.very rare tho.

Pics of the two.SI and stock

inside_zpsec13417d.jpg

My 4.1 front diff is being built right now, my limited slip 4.10 is outside waiting to be installed. I run 30s or 31s. My company pays for the gas!
Thanks, Woody

That with a 5 speed should be fun truck to drive then;)

So it really comes down to whether the EQs are worth the extra money. I can run 98s for higher compression or 93s EQs for better flow.

these are on ebay for $400

Description
A pair of BRAND NEW 4.0 Ford cylinder heads. These heads fit Ford Ranger, Bronco II and Explorer with the 4.0 engine from 1995 thru 2001. They are an aftermarket cylinder head, much thicker in all the critical areas. Much improved casting over the factory Ford heads. BEST PRICE, BEST QUALITY ON THE NET!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it really comes down to whether the EQs are worth the extra money. I can run 98s for higher compression or 93s EQs for better flow.

these are on ebay for $400

Description
A pair of BRAND NEW 4.0 Ford cylinder heads. These heads fit Ford Ranger, Bronco II and Explorer with the 4.0 engine from 1995 thru 2001. They are an aftermarket cylinder head, much thicker in all the critical areas. Much improved casting over the factory Ford heads. BEST PRICE, BEST QUALITY ON THE NET!

Yep and personally I don't think they are when compared to runing higher compression and 98tm.now you can also mill the 93 tm heads to up your compression, every 6cc removed equals one point.this would need to be measured by your machinists tho as thats just off top of my head, i can double check later....I removed 3cc to give me 10.67:1 but on my new forged stroked motor I will be adding the 3cc back into the design of the pistons.

Those sound like clearwater heads.

Back