Dual zone AC question

BadHabit

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Festus, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 Exploder Limited
So I used the search function and found that my issue seems to be the passenger side blend door actuator. My issue is my passenger side will blow full hot and driver side will blow cold, when both are set to say LO temp. There is no way to cool it down unless I park the car for a week, which isn't a problem for me right now.

So, I have 2 questions about this.

First, it seems that the passenger side blend door actuator is behind the glove box, from what I have been reading, is it easy to get to? I am only home for a few days every other weekend and live in the Midwest... We all know how the weather can be. Just wondering if it can be swapped out in like 30 minutes or is it going to take longer?

Second, if it's going to take longer, I thought I saw somewhere that you can turn on or off dual zone AC? Is this possible? Would this maybe help to get through this crazy winter we are having where temps can be anywhere from 5 to 50 in a matter of 2 days?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you cut away a bit of plastic, you can quickly change it.

Read more here:

If you cut away a bit of plastic, you can quickly change it.

Read more here:

That link is for a 2002, mine is 11 years newer, a 2013.... I could have sworn I put that in the OP 🤦 I must have remembered it when I was searching for posts before. Sorry. The true downfall of getting older and actually using the search function. 🤣

That link is for a 2002, mine is 11 years newer, a 2013.... I could have sworn I put that in the OP 🤦 I must have remembered it when I was searching for posts before. Sorry. The true downfall of getting older and actually using the search function. 🤣
The year and model of your Explorer are shown in the margin profile. That is why we ask for it to be entered when registering. Unfortunately, when you use a phone to read/reply that info doesn't show unless you hold the phone in the Landscape position.
I don't know how much work is involved in changing the part but I did find this.
1706194979276.png

Peter

I replaced mine last fall. It's a bit of a tight space to get to, but I'd say doable in less than 1hr.

The rear screw that holds the actuator in place is the difficult one. I could only do like a 1/8 of a turn at a time, but at least the screws are coarse thread.

I think the other semi-difficult part was getting the plug on/off due to the tight space.

The getting old excuse works for me also haha. Good luck on your problem.

Back