Dually Explorer?

UKExploder

Reaction score
City, State
near Liverpool,in the Wirral {England}
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited, US spec.
Hi folks,
I am wondering something, how bad would it mess up gearing, computer, etc. to put a F-250 or F-350 Ford dually rear-end under the ass end of my 4.0L 1994 Limited4x4 ? :confused: And just how hard would it be to do? :confused: Wouldn't it be pretty much just take single wheeled unit out and put dual-wheel unit in? :) I just love dual wheels, maybe I'm insane here:eek: but I want duals on my Explorer and fender flares .....thanks for ANY feedback....:) :) :exp: :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dont know how to do it at all, but if done right it would be pretty badass

sounds a little insane to me.

I'm not even sure why you would want to do something like that, but atleast post pics!

Search for dually Rangers. I've seen a few of those in my day.

You can't just swap in a dually axle- it would be waaaay to wide for your X. I think they make conversion kits for standard axles, not sure though.

I know years back that JC Whitney sold a conversion kit just to adapt what you were driving over to dual wheels, don't know now where there may be a company that sells such a kit......anybody know ?????? :confused: :)

If its legal, then the swap wouldnt be that hard. Other than cutting the old spring perch and welding on a new one, you also have to worry about a few more minor details including:

- The U-joint on the larger dually axles are I believe using the 1350 series U-joint, where as the Explorer uses the 1310. So you need to get a new yoke and have that welded onto the back of the rear driveshaft.
- The shock mount of course will be different

I used Strange Engineering's 1350 yoke on the rear driveshaft of my Explorer and it's been great so far (rotated it against a few rocks and no cracks - yet)
str-u1670_w.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294839045+4294844460+115&autoview=sku

You could go with a conversion joint with 1310 on two ends and 1350 on the other ends -- but if you break one, these are a pain to find. So you might as well go with a standard 1350 joint and just convert the driveshaft yoke.

sounds kinda pointless....not like you could exactly tow more...engine tranny and what not could not handle it....and gas mileage would be horrible.

Here is one with the PS conversion.

Do you know anything more about that truck? I'm interested in this too and I want to know what parts were used and where they came from (wider rear fenders too). Thanks for the help.

Do you know anything more about that truck? I'm interested in this too and I want to know what parts were used and where they came from (wider rear fenders too). Thanks for the help.
Hehe FROADER did that in PhotoShop (hence the "PS conversion" he mentioned).

it's a photoshop that he did, he's the forums photoshop master:notworthy

Dually Explorer ?

Here is one with the PS conversion.

1600DuallyEx.jpg

Yes, this is what I want my 1st gen to look like, not sure how soon I'll be attempting this mod tho', you all know the saying, "as soon as I get the money", right? :) I'm going to do it for sure tho'. :)

:exp:

Dually Ex ?

Search for dually Rangers. I've seen a few of those in my day.

Thanks, I'll look for those too, maybe then I could just do the single wheel to dual wheel adapter route. Would the adapter from a Ford van with duals work, what ya' think guys? :confused: :)

Back