DUDER 1's 94xlt SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DUDER 1's 94xlt SAS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So for some updates, I decided to get new wheels since the ones on the ex are 15x10 3.75"bs and I wanted 15x8 4" bs. I went with Crager d windows.

8C12B21B-EB25-46EA-845A-C8ACA2FC6C00_zpswotc3v8c.jpg

Look what I found when I pulled the drum off to check the back brakes. Funny thing is that the brakes worked pretty good. I have all new rear components, master cylinder, and I am going to do front brake pads while I have the wheels off. Do you guys think I should run the green stuff pads up front. I have never used them but I would like to try them. I will post pics of the new back brakes tonight. Thanks.

98518F4A-53CB-4B27-A0B2-10EE785961A9_zps9z9hqvwy.jpg

This is the rear brakes as of now. I have not installed the new master cylinder yet or bled the brakes.

9782165F-6283-403B-A128-055995BBB834_zpsbkt6a4dt.jpg

Looks good. I replaced all my brakes front and rear also. Running so much better.

Brakes are good.
I rebuilt my drums several years ago. When I swapped in 99 Explorer disc brakes the cost was about the same.

I used the T-bird brakes on my D44 as well. I found that I had a really long pedal afterwards due to the larger volume of the calipers. Ended up swapping to a F250 master and brake booster. Don't just swap to a larger master as the pedal will feel firmer, but you'll lose pressure.

With my 35's I can be on a 45 degree decline and the brakes will hold. With the stock 1st Gen brakes it would just slowly roll through the brakes

I used the T-bird brakes on my D44 as well. I found that I had a really long pedal afterwards due to the larger volume of the calipers. Ended up swapping to a F250 master and brake booster. Don't just swap to a larger master as the pedal will feel firmer, but you'll lose pressure.

With my 35's I can be on a 45 degree decline and the brakes will hold. With the stock 1st Gen brakes it would just slowly roll through the brakes

Yours was worse than mine since mine will stop always but the pedal would only firm up after the install of a rear proportioning valve. That tells me that there is not enough pressure to the front brakes with a 99 MC.
If you are planning in using an Explorer master cylinder, I would go with the early Ford truck calipers.
I am still looking at a Wilwood MC as they have one that will fit and it has a two to one, front to rear pressure ratio.
The strange part about brake swaps is that even though the same parts are being used, there are different results.

Your profile says you live in Cali, but you have an Arizona plate. Which is it?

Good to know, I will try the green stuff pads for now then. I just installed a new factory booster and mc from Napa because the old mc was leaking and the booster had almost rusted all the way through. Off the subject the swiss cheese air box mod and the larger mass air flow helped a little bit.

So for some updates, I have been working alot, I was in Alaska for a few weeks, and then was out of town a few more after that. I finished the brakes and got the wheels on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back