DUDER 1's 94xlt SAS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DUDER 1's 94xlt SAS

looking great... Can you take some more pictures of the back bumper that looks exactly like what I'm wanting to build for mine...

Cheers...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looking great... Can you take some more pictures of the back bumper that looks exactly like what I'm wanting to build for mine...

Cheers...

I will take some more pictures for you tomorrow. I apologize about taking so long to respond I have been working alot this summer.

Had some mounts waiting for me when I got home. I got motor mounts from Brian 1 and a transmission mount from Energy Suspension. They are both poly.

2F71BB5F-32D4-432A-BEFA-09CFCC4BAFFF_zpsnkeam3ct.jpg

Oh, please tell me more about the motor mounts from Brian1...especially after you install them and get some seat time.

So for some updates, I started the leaf spring swap. I am doing pretty much the same leaf spring mod that BKennedy did to his ex. I started by taking the old leaf springs out. Both sides had a broken leaf and were rusted. I had to cut the u bolts off lol. I had fun. I measured the height with the old leaf springs and it was 34 1/2". I am using Sunex 10 ton jack stands to hold the ex while I work on her.

76B9383E-3C01-49E2-918B-D054B32AEE0C_zpsqfherpkp.jpg

3A94C7CD-C44E-4C37-B846-67644EE5EB8F_zpshrrwtyt6.jpg

So for some updates, I started the leaf spring swap. I am doing pretty much the same leaf spring mod that BKennedy did to his ex. I started by taking the old leaf springs out. Both sides had a broken leaf and were rusted. I had to cut the u bolts off lol. I had fun. I measured the height with the old leaf springs and it was 34 1/2". I am using Sunex 10 ton jack stands to hold the ex while I work on her.

I like the bumper. Clean, squared-off lines suite the first generation Explorers.

Just a reminder, my leafs are a firm ride, but the weight of the rear bumper should off set it some. I like it to ride firmer because it has less body roll without the rear sway bars, and I also take some off road adventure, remote camping type trips and when loaded down, it rides very nice.

Ok thanks for the info, I was thinking if the ride was to stiff I would take a leaf out and put the helper leaf back on to keep the lift. With the old leafs and one being broken the ex had a lot of sway in the rear. The bumper is nice and it works very well. I was told by the previous owner that is was built by a member of this forum. BKennedy again thanks for all the help.

BKennedy, I also wonder if your ride is a bit stiffer because of your four shock setup. I am running a single bds gas shock. Just a thought.

BKennedy, I also wonder if your ride is a bit stiffer because of your four shock setup. I am running a single bds gas shock. Just a thought.

Maybe a little is from the shocks. Adding two shorter leafs will stiffen up the ride.

The Frankenleaf mod is done. Here is a picture of how it sits now. I am impressed by the difference in ride quality from my old packs to the new ones. The ride is a bit more firm but in a good way and the sway is a lot less also. I will post pictures later on of what I did and the supplies I used. Thanks again BKennedy for the good info. Aslo the ride height came out almost exactly the same maybe 1/16 less if that. My old setup was an soa on stock springs on a two inch block. The Frankenleaf is five springs with no onerlaod spring and its pretty much the same height. So with that it is at least two inches over the stock springs.

9E400B2B-EB9C-4D89-8080-EB534CDB7C50_zpsjlgjtqyr.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back