Dumb Materials Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dumb Materials Question

Hey all with sas's. I'm going to build a new crossmember that will allow me to outboard my ra brackets. My question is very simple...is .25" wall thickness going to be enough? Lots of stress in this area I know so I would rather overbuild than underbuild! Planning on using 2x6x0.25 rectuangular steel for the crossmember. :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be fine, mainly it depends on the design and how much you are going to drop the radius arm brackets. As long as everything is gusseted .25" will be more than enough.

Here's a crappy sketch of what i'm thinking. It will be mounted to the underside of each framerail. Also, i'm going to put some 90* peices in so I can mount them on the vertical portion of the frame and I may eventhrow a couple triangular mounts to each side and bolt them (dont' know about that thought). Additionally the ra mounts will be welded and bolted to the crossmember. I'm going to redo the gussets on the ra mounts...it's a bad representation. Will also integrate the tranny mount to the back side of it.

Outboard3.JPG

2x6x0.25 <-- HUGE :D

2x6x0.25 <-- HUGE :D

I likes em big :D :p: :confused:

The only real reason I chose 2x6 is because the RA brackets are about 6"s long, and I wanted them to seat really firmly. And 2"s will give me some much needed castor.

You may be able to find a I beam or C channel shape that will work. A box channel shape is also available, so you shouldn't not need to fabricate the basic shape of the cross member.

I beam is best for 1 dimensional bending, box channel for 2 dimensional bending an a tube for 3 dimensional bending.

Back