Dumb question, but explorer for grand-am trade? good idea? bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dumb question, but explorer for grand-am trade? good idea? bad?

kor

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Exporer Sport
I put dumb question because obviously the answers are going to be a bit biased, as i am too, but thought i'd ask other opinions because i'm seriously considering it...

Heres the situation..

I live 20+ miles from my school/work, moving isnt an option right now. My friend is selling 1999 pontiac grand am with 65k miles on it for $5000. My explorer is a 2000 sport with 77k miles on it already (and living that far from school/work i'm averaging about 3000 miles every 4-5 weeks (roughly ~30k miles a year (ouch))).

Now why am i cosidering this? Well, checked insurance, thats gonna be cheaper. Obviously going from a v6 SUV to a 4 cylinder car is gonna save me a hell of a lot of gas. And last (most important to me), i figure i'd be able to sell mine for around $8000, which would pay off my friend AND the rest of the money i owe on my current car loan (no more car payment).

So, i'd save at the least $200 a month, more than likely in the range of $250, but lets stick with 200 for now. Thats $2400 a year.

Now heres where the question comes into play... Would selling mine for this (given my living situation) be a good idea or bad? Would the $2400 a year im saving just go to repair bills? I heard from one person that grand am's arent that reliable once they get 70-75k mile range, but from another (plus the guy selling it) that they are fine and very reliable cars. I really dont want to part with my x, but thats a pretty hefty amount of money, and the more i think about it, i dont really have a reason for keeping it, as its basically a car (no 4X4).

Dunno, just want opinions before i look into anything further. Anyone have a grand am/had one/know someone that has/had one that knows anything?

Thanks

Back