Dumb question but I need help with extended radius arms! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dumb question but I need help with extended radius arms!

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
I bought a Tuff Country lift with extended radius arms for my 93 Ex but the instructions that came with it blow. I'm trying to figure out which way the arms go on. From the crappy picture in the instructions it looks like the shock mount should be on the outside of the arm but that puts the arm at an angle relative to the frame and it will hit the carrier before it is parallel. If I flip them over the angle is right but the shock would mount on the inside of the arm. If someone could check these pictures and tell me which way is correct I would really appreciate it.

IMG_8184.jpg
IMG_8183.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe the correct way is the pic to the right. the arm doesnt necessarily need to be parallel to the frame. you can see the bushing hole on the end is set at a slight angle. and that should be perpendicular to the frame.

hope i made since and that this helps. btw...where did you get those and how much?

the reason the pic to the left is NOT the correct way is the bend sticks out and would hit your tire if you ever made a left turn.

Yes that makes sense, thanks. I was just having a hard time getting the LH arm in the rear bracket and I had some issues installing the RH shock, the shock body was hitting the radius arm before I could get it in the upper shock bracket. Got me second guessing myself and thinking maybe I had it a$$ backwards. Glad I didn't take the passenger side apart again :D

I got the arms with the Tuff Country kit. I don't know what they'd be on their own but I paid about $900 CDN for the complete kit with arms .

Ditto.. Its the 2nd pic.. Its bent to give you tire clearance.

~Mark

x3 on the 2nd pic.those things look long as hell where do the mount?

I've seen a few times where some grinding is needed on the back of the diff (where the clamp bolt is) and/or on the radius arm 'yoke' to get it to fit properly. Sounds like this might be the case here as well.

when this lift project is said and done. i would like to hear how you like the ext. radius arms. ive been looking into those. but i would like to box the gaps in with 1/4" plate to beef them up a bit. and make the tongues that bolt onto the TTB beefier.
i found some for $425 on suspensionconnection.com

I'll post back when I have it on the road, hopefully in a week or two. This is my first Ex so I don't have much basis for comparison but I'll give her a good workout and see how it goes.

Back