• Register Today It's free!

Dumb Question...

ffejeroni

Reaction score
City, State
Northville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
I just did the brown wire mod on my '99. This may sound dumb, but how do I know it works? Pre-mod, I could hear my truck go into 4 low, like a clunking(I'm sure that's not good, but...) right after doing the mod, I drove the truck and I could still hear it going into 4 low (or 2 low). But when I got home, I tried it in the parking lot, and I couldn't hear it go into 4 low. I know the original post says something about a lit switch, but iI already have a panel with switches that I ended up using. Does anyone know how I can check this? Is there a sure-fire way to test it? Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find a gravel road, put your x in 4x4 and hammer on the gas. If the front tires spin the switch is on. If the front tires don't spin the switch is off.

You should still hear the transfer case switching positions even if you have the signal to the torque on demand clutch cut out of the wiring loop. The shift motor changing the gear set to low range should make an audible clunking sound.

Yup....find a dirt road. Make sure the switch you're using it a high amp one too. I've had to problems with mine...but I hear people blow out switches with this mod sometimes.

Indeed.... going into and out of low range it may still make some clicking or clunking. You can do the gravel test as they suggested. Or, find an empty area of a parking lot, engage the 4wd (high or low, makes no difference) Turn the steering wheel all the way in one direction and drive in a slow circle. If the driveline binds up, the 4wd is on. If it circles with no problem, it's in 2wd.

-Joe

Thanks Guys!

Back