Dumb Question | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Dumb Question


Explorer Addict
September 2, 2011
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Okay, I just tried looking for the PCV valve on my '01 ST. If it's in the rear just left of center, like on my old '01 XLT, I don't see it. How the heck do you change it? There seems to be a perfectly good spot for it on the rear of the passenger valve cover, but there's just some kind of plug thing there.

On a side note, there's a rubber elbow on the front of the passenger valve cover that has a plastic tube attached to it which goes to the air intake tube. Mine is toast (soft and dry rotted). Anyone know what this elbow is called and/or where to get a new one?

The ST intake is very different from my '01 XLT and '97 Sport intake (upper part anyway). Maybe that's why the engine seems so much more powerful? I'm pretty sure this thing could give my best 5.0 a run for it's money.

Replacing the PCV Valve

P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac

4.0 OHV vs. 4.0 SOHC vs. 5.0 V8 (2000 Ford Explorer 0-60 Acceleration) :eek:

RE first link - Holy crap! I never would have found that or would have known how to change it. Wonder why it's so different than the 4 door and Sport trucks?

RE second link - I don't think that's it. The elbow I'm referring to attaches directly to a nipple the side of passenger valve cover, near the front. Then a plastic tube (maybe 8-9" long) goes into the side of the rubber intake tube (air filter box to the T/B). On my V8's this tube attaches to the oil filler neck.