• Register Today It's free!

durability of the d35

93xplorersport

Reaction score
City, State
paris, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport 4x4
I've been doing a lot of reading on locking the front and rear of our trucks. and the thing i have came across alot is that the d35 has problems with 35 inch tires and a locker but with 33 and a locker it seems to be ok. i live in west tn so i get some snow and ice during the winter and i do trail ride and play in the mud, but she is my dd. right know i have 31 with my stock 3.27 gears. im wanting to put 35s with 4.88 and Aussie lockers front and back. but would it be better to run 33s with 4.56 and a Aussie just in the back? or can i run lockers front and back with 33s without complications? i will do the mod for the u joints... im actually running the strong joint just without the snap ring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never had any problems with the strength of the d35 with 35s. I used it as a DD/weekend warrior (really beat on it) for more than 3 years. I didn't have a locker up front, though, I had a TrueTrac L/S with a full detroit in the rear.

I'd say go for the 35s and 4.88s option.

so a truetrac ls up front with 35 and 4.88 and a locker in the back would be good for what im wanting

Another LS option for the front is a trac-lok from a Dana 35 (jeep) axle. Its the clutch style which from my reading is tighter (at least in the beginning) than the helical gear style LS (tru trac).

The trac-lok p/n you use is 73630X and can be found pretty cheap since its used in the jeep rear.

~Mark

I've been running 35s on a locked D35 for 7 years now without issues.

Only thing you really want to avoid is putting real wide-offset wheels on it, the D35's wheel bearings aren't as tolerant of the increased leverage as say, a D44 is (15x8" wheels having a 3.75" backspace are common, and is what I run). Also don't cheap out on the bearings if you should ever have to replace them, stick with Timken.

In addition to the u-joint mod, I strongly suggest putting the Warn #37780 Jeep hubs on it.

I'm running 35's on my Explorer with 4.88 gears, spool in the rear and L/S in the front with no issues. And for the record, I do like the track lock L/S idea in the front. I'm running it (track lock) and haven't had any issues. If anything, running a L/S in the front will be easier on components as it has some give when you have the wheels cranked and are on the skinny pedal, unlike a locker in the front.
As was said earlier though, the only "true" weak point of the TTB Dana 35 is the wheel bearings. Use good bearing and RELIGIOUSLY repack them on a regular basis and you wont have any issues.

I'm running 35's on my Explorer with 4.88 gears, spool in the rear and L/S in the front with no issues. And for the record, I do like the track lock L/S idea in the front. I'm running it (track lock) and haven't had any issues. If anything, running a L/S in the front will be easier on components as it has some give when you have the wheels cranked and are on the skinny pedal, unlike a locker in the front.
As was said earlier though, the only "true" weak point of the TTB Dana 35 is the wheel bearings. Use good bearing and RELIGIOUSLY repack them on a regular basis and you wont have any issues.
I guess I've sinned then... lol I've repacked mine ONCE in those 7 years (about 2½ years ago). :eek:

Honestly I think having wheels that put the center of your tire's contact patch on the road right underneath where the bearings are (or at least somewhat close to that anyway) is by far the most effective way to keep your bearings happy. Frequently treating them to fresh grease is certainly not going to hurt them one bit however.

Junkie... the difference between you and I is the area where we live... If I drive ten minuted in any direction, I'm gonna find swamp... and LOTS of it! Nothing kills bearing faster than moisture. Honestly, I have never had to change bearings in any vehicle I have owned until I moved here. I do agree with you about the 3.75 wheel back spacing though... that's just a given.... go swamping... and you're gonna be re-packing bearings every six months... minimum.

Think I'm gonna change my signature to "SWAMPIN SUCKS!"

How would a true trac do in the front and the back with it bein a dd and a play toy? Somethin else I didn't think of is how would a locker do with towing? I don't tow often but when I do its a hefty amount. Or would a true trac be better for towing

There's nothing wrong with two limited slips! I ran that way for years, with lots of offroading, and most people assumed I had lockers. :cool:

I now run two lockers, and 35"s, and before these new tires I ran two lockers and 37"s for several years.

If you get snow and ice, and tow some, and don't wheel all that much or that hard, the TruTracs would be perfect for you.

RangerX used to run a trac lok in front and rear (I have his old one from the front). He would wheel it hard.

Wheeling with a LS compared to a locker is different. The LS helps, but not as much as a locker so you still have to drive smart. With a locker, it can help you when you do something stupid. Of course, it can also just make things worse (get you more stuck).

I've towed "some" with a detroit full locker in the rear of our x (no-slip). I didn't notice the locker doing anything back there but I never pulled a heavy load on the freeway with it since we are running very soft rear springs and we were still using the bumper hitch. The heavy loads were 3000 lbs of block and pulling a full size ford van.

The more reasonable tows were 210 gallons of water. That's about 2000 lbs with trailer and water. We did that 3 days a week for about a year. We were pulling it about 24 miles at 65 mph. We never noticed the locker back there.

~Mark

edit: RangerX hit reply before I finished typing :)

RangerX used to run a trac lok in front and rear (I have his old one from the front). He would wheel it hard.
I had an Auburn limited slip in the rear axle, and was very happy with it, even after 200,000 miles!
I only had a Trac lok in the front because the TruTrac I ordered was out of stock at the time. :rolleyes:
I would not advise buying a Traclok for the rear, they wear out during normal driving. In the front, it only gets used when the hubs are locked in. Go with TruTrac or Auburn in the back.

I bought a powertrax no-slip locker (thanks to kert0307) to install in my rear axle for whenever I get around to hitting up the junkyard to pick up a 2nd gen axle with disc brakes.

I also have a lead on an Aussie locker for my front axle. I'm a little nervous to lock both axles though because my X is 90% highway driving. This is my daily driver, but when I go offroading, I like to hit the hardest trails I possibly can.

I have done a bit of research using the search button, but I would like to hear everyone's comments or criticism regarding this setup for my X, considering the type of driving I do. Basic information about my current mods can be found in my forum signature.

some places i go have some hard trails and some deep ruts so would two trutracs still be ok?

Think I'm gonna change my signature to "SWAMPIN SUCKS!"

lol, yeah mud definitely sucks for bearings (and balljoints too).
This isn't unique to the D35 though... One of the few times I swamped my D44 I had some water and muck get into it too (and is one of the main reasons I hate mud lol). The D35's issue is the close-together bearings that can't tolerate a whole lot of leverage from wide-offset wheels.

some places i go have some hard trails and some deep ruts so would two trutracs still be ok?

Do you have a lot of rocks around where you are? If so, I'd consider actual lockers. If it's mostly mud, the limited slips should be fine. Hard-packed trails can sometimes still present a challenge for a L/S diff if there are deep enough ruts though. You might ask around what others running the same trails as you are running.

Should be no issues towing with a locker though. My experience with the Detroit in my Ranger pretty much mirrors that of Maniak's.

I run aussie in the front and back and 4.88&36x14.50 and LOVE LOVE LOVE the setup.thing to remember is with manual hubs up front you can just run one locked till you need both,witch i rarely do.also if i break something with one hub locked,i can pull the axle and just lock the other side and still get off the trail.with both locked dont expect to take any tight turns!!also aussie are WAY cheaper,saves you money for gears

most of the trails i ride start out with gravel and most of the ruts are after the gravel but some of the gravel trails are steep (turkey bay). i thinkin a aussie in the back and a ls up front what about that setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have made a choice.

Back