Duration of 3-flash lane switch signal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Duration of 3-flash lane switch signal

Britta-S

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

Does anyone have information what the duration (in seconds) of the 3-flash lane switch signal is?
Obviously I know it's 3 flashes, but I want to know how many seconds it's activated in total.

I tried to find anything on google to no avail.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never timed it, but it seems to be about 5 seconds...I did a quick search in the manual and it does not speak about the amount time...

Pg 85 of manual...

I have never timed it, but it seems to be about 5 seconds...I did a quick search in the manual and it does not speak about the amount time...

Pg 85 of manual...

Thanks for you help!
Yes, I looked that up as well, sorry for not mentioning it.

5 second seems a bit long though. I guess I just have to go and time it myself if I can't find a source anywhere. It's about a court case.

Hi all,

Does anyone have information what the duration (in seconds) of the 3-flash lane switch signal is?
Obviously I know it's 3 flashes, but I want to know how many seconds it's activated in total.

I tried to find anything on google to no avail.

Thanks a lot in advance!
About 2 seconds according to my stopwatch.

Peter

About 2 seconds according to my stopwatch.

Peter

Thanks Peter, just did the same thing and yes, 2.11 seconds (minus human inaccuracy when pushing the buttons).

Wow, that is pretty short. Thanks for the info guys...

I timed it yesterday and I was just under 3 seconds....

I have no idea who decided that "3 flash" standard but its totally inadequate unless you are switching lanes NASCAR style.

5 flashes should be the minimum and provides enough of a signal to warn other drivers of your intent.

My $0.02

Turn Signal Frequency

I overheard my Ford Service Advisor on the phone with a client saying that they had reprogrammed the 'speed' of his turn signal...that it had been changed for an unknown reason and should flash at a more normal or standard rate after the adjustment. I have to assume on some of the cars it's dealer-correctable when it gets too fast or slow....I'd think it's regulated by some ANSI or other code for standard equipment.

I overheard my Ford Service Advisor on the phone with a client saying that they had reprogrammed the 'speed' of his turn signal...that it had been changed for an unknown reason and should flash at a more normal or standard rate after the adjustment. I have to assume on some of the cars it's dealer-correctable when it gets too fast or slow....I'd think it's regulated by some ANSI or other code for standard equipment.

It's not that it is going to fast, it is normal speed. Just the duration of the 3-flash signal is not really that long. The problem was that I got a ticket for not using my signal when switching lanes, but I did. The only explanation is that the signal was "overlooked" by the officer because it the 2 seconds weren't enough.

It's not that it is going to fast, it is normal speed. Just the duration of the 3-flash signal is not really that long. The problem was that I got a ticket for not using my signal when switching lanes, but I did. The only explanation is that the signal was "overlooked" by the officer because it the 2 seconds weren't enough.
There are many posts on here regarding the fact that members think that the 3 flashes is not enough. Many seem to agree that 6 would be an improvement.

Peter

There are many posts on here regarding the fact that members think that the 3 flashes is not enough. Many seem to agree that 6 would be an improvement.

Peter

I will often hit mine twice... once as a warning and then I'll do it again"for real"

I have no idea who decided that "3 flash" standard but its totally inadequate unless you are switching lanes NASCAR style.

5 flashes should be the minimum and provides enough of a signal to warn other drivers of your intent.

My $0.02

it's mirror, signal, manoeuvre. thus you should already look, then signal and move quickly.

so it's more than plenty.

you're changing lanes wrong. :dunno:

serious note - the system and requirement comes from German version of the DOT. has been in place a few years now - I think since about 2006 in germany - 09 here.

And snarkiness aside - what I described above is how lane change is often taught and that's the basis of how they derived the values.

It is by the way. 3 flash cycles no quicker than 2 seconds and no longer than 3. Which by the way is an offshoot of the spec that calls for how long a turn signal flash should cycle.

it's mirror, signal, manoeuvre. thus you should already look, then signal and move quickly.

so it's more than plenty.

you're changing lanes wrong.
:dunno:

serious note - the system and requirement comes from German version of the DOT. has been in place a few years now - I think since about 2006 in germany - 09 here.

And snarkiness aside - what I described above is how lane change is often taught and that's the basis of how they derived the values.

It is by the way. 3 flash cycles no quicker than 2 seconds and no longer than 3. Which by the way is an offshoot of the spec that calls for how long a turn signal flash should cycle.

Depends on where you are driving. In MN, for example, by law, you must signal at least 100 feet before your maneuver and continue until you have completed.

So, at 60mph, you must signal for just over 1 second before you start your lane change and continue until you are fully in the next lane. Using the 3 blink option, your blinker pretty much stops before you even start moving.

I will say I break the law quite often with the 100ft law. I essentially do what you state(look, signal, maneuver), but I don't rush over to the next lane.

Just for fun, last night I attempted to change lanes within 3 blinks(ignoring the 100ft law). As goochman stated, that felt like a NASCAR style lane change. I would say 5 blinks was reasonable(a little over 3 seconds) without rushing or dragging it out.

it's mirror, signal, manoeuvre. Thus you should already look, then signal and move quickly.

So it's more than plenty.

You're changing lanes wrong. :dunno:

Serious note - the system and requirement comes from german version of the dot. Has been in place a few years now - i think since about 2006 in germany - 09 here.

And snarkiness aside - what i described above is how lane change is often taught and that's the basis of how they derived the values.

+1

and you probably only change your oil when your car tells you it's time. :eek:

I personally find this annoying and had a wtf was that moment the first time I did it by mistake. I just do what I've done for the last 18 years click it all the way and in the same motion turn it off once I've merged. I got a insurance loner MKX years back and not sure if they still do it but it drove me crazy that the stalk didn't stick engaged up or down once you click on the signal it just reset back to the center it drove me freaking nuts lol. It was a really nice truck but I couldn't wait to ditch it becauce of the stupid stalk. My ocd thanks the explorer engineers for not putting that on my truck but a useless (to me) lane change thing that I don't even remember that I have most of the time.

P.S. And my truck is a lease so I am planning on getting pretty damn close to when my truck tells me to change the oil or at least the 6 month mark :D

My $0.02

The 3 flash has been going on since at least 2002 (my 02 Audi A4 had it) so it has been pretty standard.

With my F350, it is 3 flashes and if a trailer is plugged in, it goes to 5 flashes automatically and back to 3 when the trailer is disconnected.

If 3 isn't enough there is an alternative... hold it with your finger just like the old days. Could it be longer, sure it could be longer but amazes me people come on a forum to complain about something like this when you could use the old method that people have been accustomed too for what, 80+ years?

3 flashes works just fine for me.

I personally find this annoying and had a wtf was that moment the first time I did it by mistake. I just do what I've done for the last 18 years click it all the way and in the same motion turn it off once I've merged. I got a insurance loner MKX years back and not sure if they still do it but it drove me crazy that the stalk didn't stick engaged up or down once you click on the signal it just reset back to the center it drove me freaking nuts lol. It was a really nice truck but I couldn't wait to ditch it becauce of the stupid stalk. My ocd thanks the explorer engineers for not putting that on my truck but a useless (to me) lane change thing that I don't even remember that I have most of the time.

P.S. And my truck is a lease so I am planning on getting pretty damn close to when my truck tells me to change the oil or at least the 6 month mark :D
I heard that the 2016 stalk has been changed. The 2011 - 2015 models still have the stalk return to the "neutral" position to the best of my knowledge. I know my 2014 MKT does. Don't really like it either.

Peter

+1

and you probably only change your oil when your car tells you it's time. :eek:

LOL, lets not get on the oil debate... :chug:

PS - You should change your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL, lets not get on the oil debate... :chug:

PS - You should change your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

I heard you should change Your oil every Wednesday on pay day during your lunch break, and if it's not your pay day it's mine so pretend it's yours too. And you also have to dust your dash off every 3rd Friday to prevent the true north of the ignitions fluxing capacities from becoming true North South. Just FYI they will not cover that under warranty if they determine that you preferred to nourish yourself during your lunch break. :JP: :sawzall:

Back