Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
Does anyone here take off their brake dust shields..? I've heard good and bad about doing so.. I'm just curious because my rusty old Waggy ones broke off when I was trying to hammer them back into shape :D (axle was sitting in a barn and belonged to a really stupid kid who threw it around instead of gently picking it up :p: ) For those who don't know, the brake dust shield is part of the caliper mount, so I kinda need them. I'm just debating if it's worth buying a new pair :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tossed them ;) Although I still have them for the rear discs, but I'm not sure if you can get rid of them with the parking brake stuff in there. :confused:

i kept mine but i do not see a reason why you would have to keep them

What are the disadvantages of getting rid of them? I have overheating issues and I'd think getting rid of them would help cool them?

spas, my waggy d44 had them i jsut ground them off cuase they were rusted to hell. i asked this question a while back on another forum, and they all told me they arent needed. in fact wheeling its better to not have them cause they pick up a lot of crap and kinda funnel it toward the bearings. i just ground where they were down so its flat so i have just the caliper mount

Ranger, I've heard that argument too.. but I've also heard that they provide at least a little protection from stray rocks and twigs and such. I think I'll just put the axle back together the way it is and see how things go. If it becomes an issue, THEN I'll order new shields.

Just like Porter and I told you, toss them, you'll have issues with mud & stuff getting in between the shields & the rotor.. If you like I can just take the D44 from you. :D

Blee1099 said:
Just like Porter and I told you, toss them, you'll have issues with mud & stuff getting in between the shields & the rotor.. If you like I can just take the D44 from you. :D

Yeah, like THAT'll happen :D :p:

I never ran the on my dana 35. My 44 has them only because they were in good shape. Eventually I willprobably just cut them off.

I haven't had em since I restore my D35 several years back.. At the time I stopped by a dealer to get new ones as mine had rust through in several places. The parts guy said the computer indicated they weren't needed and there was no replacement # for them.

I haven't had them on my front since 2002. The disadvantage is squeeky brakes until the dust burns/clears off. Other than that, no other probs.

Back