Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Just got home from The Dusy Ershim trail and what a trip. If you have never been it is a must do. We had three rigs in our group. Tracy and myself in my ranger, Dave in his Tacoma, and Rod and Michele with their daughter and two dogs. This is the trip from my view.

The last week before the run was a mad dash to get my truck ready. I needed more storage space so I built a swing out tire carrier and finished my York on board air. Monday night before we left my friends Jacob and Greg came over and wired in a spare 2 meter ham radio Jacob had. I finish the radio install around 10:00 that night. They also messed with my CB radio and said the Coax cable was no good. With no time to get a replacement no CB for me. Jacob also gave me his hand held ham radio in case we needed it.

Tuesday 5 am rolls around and it is a mad dash to get the truck packed Bailey dropped off at preschool and pick up a few last minute things. We end up running late and not meeting Dave till 9:45 in Prather. We run up the four lane and a fuel top off in Shaver and down Dinkey Creek to Courtright Reservoir we head. After airing down we hit the trail. Dave is pulling Rod's trailer as he will be joining us the next day. We decide to bypass Chicken rock and go along the high water mark line to make up some time for the late start.

Dave and I at our Trucks.

IMG_0597 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

After we run up the lake and back on the trail we quickly hit a broken rig blocking the trail It was an FJ 80 that had sheered the rear passenger side axle shaft studs. After an hour plus delay they (5 rigs) started moving. All the time we saved by going the lake route was lost. We end up following them most of the way up Thompson hill finally passing a few of them half way up. We setup camp at Thompson Lake and would camp there two nights.

Misc pics of us climbing Thompson Hill.

IMG_0599 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0604 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0605 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0610 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0611 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wednesday was a relaxing day as we woke up late and hung out. We walked around Thompson Lake to enjoy the views of the Sierras.

IMG_0614 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0615 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0616 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

That afternoon I decided to walk to Lost Lake which is about a 1/2 mile hike from Thompson. I think it is the Prettiest lake on the trail. It is also known for having great fishing. Defiantly a quantity not quality type of fishing lake.

IMG_0617 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0621 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

On the way back to camp I saw a bunch of birds and chipmunks.

IMG_0623 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0624 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

We were sitting in camp and a hawk decided to land in the tree right by us.

IMG_0628 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Rod and family joined us that evening after they made their way up Thompson Hill.

Thursday morning we are up and pack camp to head to Ershim Lake. We get going and about 45 minutes into the trip Dave comes over the radio and says Rod lost a tire on the trailer. I though he meant a flat, not literally lost the tire.

IMG_0629 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

We were being looked down on when this happened. It just so happened that where this broke was the only place we could get out to a repeater on the ham radios on the whole trail. As we tried radioing for help Jacob happened to be listening to the repeater. We quickly told him what we needed and a plan was created. He called Tracy's dad who went to Dave's house and met Dave's wife to pick up the old trailer axle and wheels. He then went and picked up U bolts and spring perches for that axle and brought them to Courtright. This was all figured out with us talking to Jacob on the Ham and then him using his cell to call people to make the plan fall in place. we pulled the broken axle and wheels off the trailer, setup camp close by and loaded the parts in my ranger and headed back down Thompson to meet my Father-in-law. Myself in my ranger and Rod in his Jeep with Dave riding. We make it down to Courtright in about 4 hours. As we were going out we pass a group of 7 Jeeps going in. We make it to Courtright and Tracy's dad was there waiting for us with the parts we needed. I took this picture at 5:04 pm as we are heading back in with the replacement axle and wheels in my truck. I just saw this sign 2 days ago.

IMG_0630 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

We are making a quick clip across the lake and back on the trail we go. We run into three Toyotas coming out. They tell us that group we saw earlier was having a lot of troubles and be ready for a long delay behind them. We get a bit frustrated that it is going to be a long night but keep pushing on. Sense we passed them the first time it had been about 2.5 hours. We keep our quick pace and up Thompson Hill we press. We both are making great time with no stops or rock stacking needed. We get about two thirds of the way up Thompson Hill and catch the group. I walk up to see what is going on. They have a JK with a broken front axle shaft they are trying to pull up the hill. I ask to pass them as we have people waiting on the trail for us. They weren't sure about some ranger being able to keep up. After reminding them we already passed them going the other way went to the trail head and came back and caught them they let us pass. We slowly passed as room developed passing one or two as room would allow. Our goal was to make the top of Thompson before dark. At 7:50 pm we were at the turn off for Thompson Lake campground. Less then 3 hours we made what many take 8 plus to do. We chatted a bit with the first rig in that group showing them were the campground was. Another 30 minutes and we were back at camp.

On Friday the plan is to fix the trailer and then Continue to Ershim lake. The quickest way to install the axle was to winch the trailer up a tree and bolt in the axle.

IMG_0632 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

About 30 minutes later we were on our way to load camp and get back on the trail. The trail between Thompson and Ershim is the easiest section but still has some challenges. We came across a field of cows.

IMG_0633 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

A little while later Tracy firmly says STOP!!! Points out the window and says Bear. We sit and watch it for about 5 minutes before it runs off. I think it was eating on something but can't tell for sure.

IMG_0635 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

We continue on and make a stop at East Lake. We do the few hundred yard walk down to the lake and check it out.

IMG_0645 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

We continue on and take in the scenery of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

IMG_0650 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

We make it to Ershim and setup camp. We have the whole campground.

IMG_0652 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Saturday Morning arrives. as we get up to start packing to head home we explore Ershim Lake a bit.

IMG_0657 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

On the way out we stopped to enjoy the view. and took a group photo.

IMG_0674 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0677 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

As we continued out we enjoyed the views and a few challenging obstacles along the way.

IMG_0686 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0688 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Back on pavement we air up and head home.

IMG_0689 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

What a great trip. The damage to my truck consisted of a broken exhaust hanger. I didn't catch it in time and it cracked the muffler. As for fuel consumed I did the whole trail plus a second trip in and out to past Thompson Lake. I had the 23 gallons in my tank. I added 10 gallons on the trail. Drove the 80 miles home and have roughly a half tank left. Without the trip to get the axle probably could have done the whole thing just on the fuel in my tank. However I would carry an extra 5 anyway just to make sure.

I am glad that Rod and Dave planned this trip. The weather was great the people were great. I hope it is not another 12 years before Tracy and I get back to Dusy Ershim.

I'd gladly scratch/dent the JKUR to do this trail.

...I cant wait to get home and read this report on a real computer...:biggthump

Awesome looking trip:thumbsup:

Gotta get my cap together so we can do this.

Great pics, and a fantastic adventure :D

Glad to see you finally made it, you kept posting and not making it. I saved your bear picture. I havn't seen a bear on Dusy, only tracks and scat.

Back