Dusy Ershim Trail labor day weekend 2012 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dusy Ershim Trail labor day weekend 2012

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
This trail is located about two hours east of Fresno CA in the Sierra National Forest. The trail itself is about 33 miles long. The round trip loop is over 100 miles of travel. More then that between gas stations. 33 miles in low range will burn a lot of fuel. A few places it takes you close if not over 10,000 feet in elevation as you travel between two different wilderness areas.

The Schedule:

Hit the trail EARLY Friday morning at Courtright and then come out on the Huntington Lake side on Monday afternoon.

What you need to bring:

There is no running to the market for food so you need enough food to last the entire time. No getting ice so make sure you pack so food can stay preserved for the entire trip.

Warm cloths and sleeping bags. Below freezing temps are possible over night. Thunderstorms are also possible as well. So make sure stuff is packed to stay dry.

Extra gas. Everyone need an extra 5 gallons. I have a 23 gallon tank will still carry 5 gallons. Bring water. There is water available along the trail so you could filter or boil as needed.

Fishing pole. All those lakes so you have stop and do some fishing. We have caught trout the two times I have run part of the trail.

The vehicle requirements:
At least 1 locker is REQUIRED. No a L/S is not a locker. Two real lockers is highly recommended.

33"s would be an absolute minimum 35"s or larger will make life much easier.

Sliders and skid plates. It is a tight trail with narrow trees and rocks. There is a chance to body damage so the more protection the better. There may not be bypasses around some areas.

A winch is highly recommended. Some areas a strap will just not work and having to turn others around for a winch can be a pain.

Street legal rig. This trail is not a loop. You start at one end come out the other. If you trailer up you will have a 3-4 hour highway drive to the other end to get your trailer.

A well maintained rig. It is not a hour trip to the parts store if you brake. It is 2-3 days to come back with parts if you brake. My first trip I broke the steering box on a Monday and couldn't get back to it till Wednesday with a new box. I was close to the end so the middle would have been another day on that.

The scenery is incredible, the lake fishing is a blast, The clean crisp mountain air is relaxing. The wheeling is challenging and a very good chance your cell phone wont work the entire trip so no one can bother you.

Who is up for it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, that trail is a dusy.

I'd soooo love to run this trail. I don't see how I would be able to short of winning the lotto or robbing a bank.

Awesome rigs :thumbsup:
The red lake video is :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

I need to get some rub rails, so I don't F up my tub.
I'd love to run with you guys, don't know if I can make it to the Ershim Trail. Do you go on snow runs? Bald mountain is open year round, and I have heard of wheeling in Jose Basin (never been).

I ran Bald this weekend. Unless you were locked front and rear you were not going far on the trail. Much more snow and you are going to be doing full throttle attempts on the whole trail. I have never been to Jose Basin.

I'd soooo love to run this trail. I don't see how I would be able to short of winning the lotto or robbing a bank.

Hope you can make it this way someday. I enjoyed wheeling with you in Moab and need to get back out there someday as well.

A few places it takes you close if not over 10,000 feet in elevation

There may not be bypasses around some areas.

very good chance your cell phone wont work the entire trip

I'm a member of the Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno and have helped open/clear trees on Dusy/Ershim the last four years.

The high point on the trail is 10,170 about two miles in from White Bark Vista at a place we call "Parking lot in the sky".

The Forest Service doesn't allow bypasses of the challenging stretches of trail. We are required to block off where people are going off trail to go around. We do some of that each year,last October we blocked off a bypass at gatekeeper(White Bark end). Doing that takes up time and energy we could be using for improvements. Not making any accusations,just trying to help fellow trail users understand the ways of the trail.

You can get cell phone reception at and near the White Bark end of the trail. Other parts of the trail you would have to hike up to get reception.

Happy trails.

Last time I was on Dusy was 02 and 03 ish. Still want to make it back but it. Doesn't look like it will happen this year. It was when Scott Fisher had his TJ.

I've wheeled with Scot a bunch of times and he's helping with the toilets we're building for Dusy-Ershim also. What is your name.

Last time I was on Dusy was 02 and 03 ish. Still want to make it back but it. Doesn't look like it will happen this year. It was when Scott Fisher had his TJ.

I rode in to Ershim Lake with Scot Fisher 2 weekends ago.

I love this trail. It is my all time favorite trail. I have ran it several times over the last several years in my Early Bronco. Can't wait to get a chance to run it in my Mounty. Unfortunatly I will be driving my Mounty back from Colorado that weekend and although I beleive the Mounty will be pretty capable of doing Dusy-Ershim, I would not feel comfortable doing it this early in my ownership of the Mounty.

People, this trail is no joke. If something is going to break on your rig in the next several months, this trail will break it!

That said, you will be hard pressed to find a more scenic reward to your hard wheeling. It's almost a crime to just run this trail in the 3 full days of wheeling it takes. Personally we always love to stop and spend a day or 4 at Ershim Lake when we run this trail.

IMG_0885.jpg

I hope to run this trail in the Mounty in summer of 2013. I'll look for the invite to this run then.

Dan

Back