• Register Today It's free!

dynomat license plate

clarks2001

Reaction score
City, State
Ashburn, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
I was wondering how people dynomatted their license plate if they didn't use the license plate kit. I have a sheet of dynomat and put pieces in various locations on the license plate. Will find out tomorrow if it does away with the infamous plate rattle. Here is a pic

DSC02212.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

never used dynamat on my plates. Just get some of that soft rubber stuff(the stuff they used around windows, like black gum) and put it where you screw your plate on. No more rattle

never used dynamat on my plates. Just get some of that soft rubber stuff(the stuff they used around windows, like black gum) and put it where you screw your plate on. No more rattle

The door weatherstripping is normally expensive compared to a sheet of dynomat but that is a great idea! I would just throw some slabs on the outer edge and the some in the center. Should stop it from making the rattle.

The door weatherstripping is normally expensive compared to a sheet of dynomat but that is a great idea! I would just throw some slabs on the outer edge and the some in the center. Should stop it from making the rattle.

well i never had to pay for it, my friend always had some lying around, but i find it works better than anything. All you want to do is make sure the license plate doesn't touch the body of the car, so even spacers between the bolts help too

I bet it looks pretty snazzy with the rubber gasket around it. Which pieces are you referring to? The piece that goes around the door frame or the piece that is on the lower section of the window and window frame (aka window sweep and run channel)?

The thick foam double sided tape works. Just cut off a few pieces and stick it to the back of your plate. Just don't peel off the film from the other side of the tape. You could also use hikers' Mole Foam (it's thicker then the more commonly known mole skin).

I took scrap pieces and filled in the back of the numbers, letters, etc, and then put a single piece across the whole plate. No more plate rattle :thumbsup:

Well got around to testing it today. Didn't turn it up too loud but to the point where I know the plate rattles like crazy, it didn't rattle at all but now that rattle is gone, I hear other rattles. Guess the rattle battle will never be over haha. Next thing I have to do is put something between the glass and that plastic piece that covers the wiper motor (3rd Gen) cause that rattles some.

Back