Dynomax 17377 On 98 OHV sport

hunterdan

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Chevy Silverado
I just installed a dynomax Super Turbo catback system on my 98 OHV sport. Everything fits well and looks good. But, I should have done more research before hand. The pipe exits directly behind the passenger rear wheel, which hangs a little low, but wont hit curbs or anything. I ended up actually buying all the parts separately instead of buying the kit. The kit wasnt available, but all the parts were. What I think I should have done was get the muffler and the extension pipe for the OHV, but buy the tailpipe for the SOHC, which is 2.5" instead of 2.25" but could be fixed with a simple adapter. This would give me bigger pipe and the exhaust comming out in the stock location, which is higher than where I have it now. But I can always go back and buy the pipe at a later time and just replace it when it needs it. The short pipe that goes from the cat to the muffler was for a 4 door, so I had to cut that down to fit. This wasnt too hard to do at all and it works. The only problem I had was pulling the pipe and muffler out, but it was possible cutting the very end of the tail pipe off, as well as getting the muffler off of the stock rubber hangers. I just ended up cutting those off and buying new ones. Now, for sound, its not loud at all, but has a much better tone at idle while higher rpms sound similar to the stock muffler. I have not had it on the highway yet, but will test it out tomorrow. So to answer, will a dynomax kit for the 96-98 explorers fit a 96-98 2 door, yes, but you have to cut the extension pipe. But as I said, I may end up changing pipes and go with a pipe for the V8 or OHC motor as it it straight back instead of exiting behind the rear tire, plus its 2.5" And the pipe is mandrel bent and comes with a nice stainless steel tip which really sets it off. So far, Im happy with it and Im hoping it does get a little louder, but not too much. The install took about 2 hours to do, including modifying the pipe to fit as well as talking to coworkers. I did this in the parking lot at work, Advance auto, which is where I bought it. It made it nice since I had a nice supply of parts just a stride away. Sorry for the long post.

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the same thing on my 99, only I used a rvin muffler and the dynomax tailpipe. Mine exits out behind the tire also, But you could always cut the end of the tailpipe off where it curves and make an extension to exit out the back.

Thats another solution, but I would kind of rather have the pipe remain intact. I really like the way these motors sound with no muffler. A nice rumble at idle and get fairly throaty when on the gas. Though my old rodeo with a 3.1 tbi gm motor sounded wicked with no cat or muffler, though it was on the loud side. But for now it stands out from the rest of the explorers around here, and sounds better.

Dan

Funny you should mention no muffler, that is how I ran mine for almost a year. I would have kept it dumped, but to pass inspection it needed a tailpipe and muffler.

I drove around town one day like that, then hit the highway, but the resonance inside was just too much, particularly when cruising. Even I couldnt take it, and I like loud trucks. But when you hammer the gas while doing 35 or so, it almost sounds like a mustang, it sounded good the few times i did it. But for now, Im happy.

Dan

Hi all,
I wish I would have known about the larger diameter SOHC & V8 pipe, but the DULTS in my local parts stores are extreemly lacking in knowledge when I inquired .Anyway I had some 2.5" stainless laying around, so I had it matched to my orig pipe. I'm running a Dynomax stainless UltraFlo. Its just like a Borla. VERY nice ,not too loud but you know its there.
Keith

I researched the system a lot making sure it would work, at one point after the stock system was off, I couldnt get the tail pipe in place and thought it would hit the plastic trim, I had to remove the sway bar link and finagle the pipe in place and it fit well. That 2.5" pipe with the 3" stainless tip would have looked really sweet, but that pipe was an extra $30. I had an ultraflow on my old truck for about a month before I sold my rodeo. It sounded well, made the little 3.1 sound good for its size with 2.5" pipe. The muffler is starting to break in a little now, and its getting deeper and a little louder. I can hear some pops from the better exhaust flow when i let off the throttle quickly. I was thinking about the ultraflow, but wanted to have something I could install easily and without a lot of work. Im still happy with my choice, so far. To get the parts I wanted I studied the dynomax catalog at work for a few hours making sure it worked. It helps working at a parts store and the extra 20% off everything is nice too. :thumbsup: Forgot to mention, I found out that hooker makes a 3" system for the earlier explorers. This got my attention, but I dont think I could have made that work for my 98.

Dan

Back