E-85 in non E-85 Ex - Results

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
I just wanted to post up the results that I've gotten with E-85 in my 2000 SOHC sport. I also wanted to note that I never ran completely e-85, I had half a tank of regular(e-10), and filled up with e-85 ($2.87), so it was probably more like e-50.

My mpg didn't drop as much as I thought it would. I saw an 10% decrease from my normal miles traveled per tank.

Engine ran fine, no pining (E-85 is 100 octane)

My explorer normally runs a bit on the lean side due to stock electronics and after market intake, however running the e-85 blend caused a pretty consistent "lean mixture" CEL (both banks) and my A/f guage showed a leaner mixture than normal. However drivability was not any different than before and the engine temp was normal.

CONCLUSION: I probably won't run a 50/50 blend again due to the leanness of the engine, however I may try running a 25% blend in the future to see if it will run without the CEL. I also would not recommend running a complete tank of e-85 in a non e-85 truck, will it run, yes, but the engine will be running a lot leaner than it should be.

Hopefully this will be informational to anyone else who has been considering this for their Explorer/Mounty.

you can run up to 20% with no problem

Back