E3 Plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

E3 Plugs

What about plug wires? do they make a diff?

or should this be a new thread?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autolite

Though I'm still on the stockers, I've always had good luck with AA's Autolite wires.

Copper plugs conduct the most electricity. So one could assume that more spark would be had with copper plugs. The Platinum and Iridium conduct less electricity than coppers, but have a higher melting point and therefore allowing them to last longer. This info is something I got from a test about spark plugs to help people(us) understand what's what today.

My opinion is that a spark plug is only going to put out whatever the coil sends to it. So if the coil sends X amount of energy, then no matter what plug you have, that's what it's going to put out. If your plugs are bad, then they will restrict what comes out.(make sense?) Someone that has fouled stockers and puts E3's in will see a difference, but you would with any new plug. So if you plugs are in good shape now, you will see a minimal gain if at all from new plugs.

Bump. I have owned two explorers a 92 and currently a 96 2WD v8.

Motorcraft work very good. Autolights I have gotton some defective ones before.

Well I did go and buy the E3 plugs and bought new JBA wires on my 96.

What do I think about them? No gain on Gas Mileledge:thumbdwn:. These plugs seem make the explorer run a little hotter also? Nothing else unusual.

I did feel that the E3's give more of a spark which made my throttle response more torquey and good top end power for high speeds.

Have had been installed for 4 months and one of the plugs went out wtf? Hopefully it was just a defective one:(.

Would I buy for another car/explorer. Probally not but are they bad no.

wait till they start shooting out.. take it from some one who has replaced an entire engine because the 4.6L ford doesnt like aftermarket spark plugs.. i shot 4 of them out on both both heads.. STICK WITH MOTORCRAFT!!!

wait till they start shooting out.. take it from some one who has replaced an entire engine because the 4.6L ford doesnt like aftermarket spark plugs.. i shot 4 of them out on both both heads.. STICK WITH MOTORCRAFT!!!

I really doubt that the E3 plugs would shoot out into the motor. As much as I hate to admit they are very good quality, better than Bosch to me.

Just changed out all my E3 plugs over the weekend and put in Motorcraft Plats. Stockers seem to make the motor feel a little more happier but I do miss the more pep and overall power that the E3 plugs gave. However when a plug just suddenly dies after only about 600 miles it does make me cautious:(.

I would say if you want some extra power go for it. Would I put them in with headers, no, or at least install boot protectors.

my 1 cents.

e3 plugs are the best upgrade my ex has received, they made it run a hundred times better

e3 plugs are the best upgrade my ex has received, they made it run a hundred times better

But how bad were the ones you replaced? If they were worn out and fouling sure new plugs would make a big difference, but if you replaced a set that was in good condition and noticed a big change, then that's saying something.

But how bad were the ones you replaced? If they were worn out and fouling sure new plugs would make a big difference, but if you replaced a set that was in good condition and noticed a big change, then that's saying something.
the plugs that came out were in good shape and gaped properly

the only other plugs id but into this truck are the new pulsar plugs(and i am due to replace them soon!! :D).

the only other plugs id but into this truck are the new pulsar plugs(and i am due to replace them soon!! :D).

Are these the ones that's like $25 a piece?

Are these the ones that's like $25 a piece?

Yup... I have looked into the pulstar plug and it sounds like its legit. But I am waiting to see what others on this site say about them. Apparently no one is ready to cough up 25 bux a pop to try it out lol

give me a couple weeks and ill get a report for yall, im worried my 60,000 volt coils might not agree with the capacitor in them though, only one way to find out :p

I was considering the Pulsar plugs on my explorer. They are very expensive:( though.

I've been told that for their price they are a disapointment. Not that their bad they work very well but they make the car run REALLY hot like E3's. They work good on turbos and imports. Our trucks don't like things that make it get hotter for some reason.

I'm almost tempted to switch back my used E3's from my Motorcrafts, because I miss that extra boost they gave me.

were they torqued down to 17ft/lbs? ford only had a few threads holding the plug in the head. which was redesigned that next year. Or later 03'. i forget. It wasnt e3's fault on that one.

i seen on horsepower tv they tested e3 plugs and gained HP and used less fuel/ and had the sniffer hooked up and it produced less pollutants.

would i buy them, no i stick with what the motor came with, always gave me good luck. Not saying e3 is bad though.

Autolite had a sale on their performance iridium plugs not too long ago, it may still be in effect. I bought a set of them for the 4.0, and got a $16 rebate check from Autolite. The boutique plugs are a wallet drainer, IMHO.

I have had the E3's in my X now for 6 months and it still runs good. Im not sure if its my imagination but it idles smoother also.. Im planning on doin some wires and upgraded coil packs.. any suggestions?? plus im trying to find a throttle body, anybody know were I can find one..

When I tried an experiment with trying Motorcraft plats and then changing them out to try E3 plugs I stayed with the E3's. Don't get me wrong I love Motorcraft but the E3's really make a difference.

With Motorcraft always use plugs with their stock wires. Try JBA Wires with your E3's. No joke its a good combo:thumbsup:.

i have used e3 plug in my focus svt they were great at first but they started to lag after a while, i will prolly never waste my money on those again when standard seem to do just as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been working on Fords since 1967, go with autolite or motorcraft for sure.

Back