Early 4.0 into a Second Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Early 4.0 into a Second Gen Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sunriver, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I've already searched around in the threads and can't find anyone who's mentioned doing this. I'm building a 4.0 that came from a 93 Sport to put into my 97 XLT. I've noticed the block casting is different, specifically for the motor mount bolts. Has anyone swapped an early 4.0 into a second gen? Any tips would be awesome. I've read these threads for years but this is my first post. I look forward to posting more often as my projects move along. Thanks in advance for any of the help and knowledge!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm building a 4.0 that came from a 93 Sport to put into my 97 XLT. I've noticed the block casting is different,

I don't know anyone who has done that, but I can give what little info I have.

Yes the casting is slightly different, the heads are different, pistons different, OBD-I vs. OBD-II, etc. Your 93 was also batch fire injection, if memory serves. I am not sure how all of that will play with the 97's computer, which is set up for the fast burn 95TM heads and sequential EFI on the 97. EGR was also added halfway thru the 93 model year, so yours may, or may not have it -- potentially leaving you with extra wires and a CEL if you retain the '97 harness.

Those are the first things that popped into my head. I'm sure others will chime in, maybe someone who has done this, or a similar swap before.

I don't know anyone who has done that, but I can give what little info I have.

Yes the casting is slightly different, the heads are different, pistons different, OBD-I vs. OBD-II, etc. Your 93 was also batch fire injection, if memory serves. I am not sure how all of that will play with the 97's computer, which is set up for the fast burn 95TM heads and sequential EFI on the 97. EGR was also added halfway thru the 93 model year, so yours may, or may not have it -- potentially leaving you with extra wires and a CEL if you retain the '97 harness.

Those are the first things that popped into my head. I'm sure others will chime in, maybe someone who has done this, or a similar swap before.

Thanks for the info you had. worst case scenario on the early style heads i may just run it with a first gen ECM. But I can't see why the different style chambers would make that much difference. I will live and learn on that one..... (If anyone has done this, or used first gen heads on a second gen 4.0 Please chime in!) As for the block I've already fab'd up new mm brackets to fit the second gen mounts and placement. I also plan to delete the EGR (as this was my first reason for swapping in an early style 4.0). Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I apologize for my late response. PS, my CEL was removed by the previous owner... hmmmm......;)

Well, my early 4.0 conversion is completed. I used the OBDll harness, deleted the EGR, fabricated a new right motor mount bracketand modified the left side to fit the early style block. The OBDll computer runs the early injection system just fine. I still need to mount the MAP sensor and tuck a few wires but other than that I'm very pleased with my conversion. I hope I can get a few people that have done this type of swap to chime in to see how otbers have turned out.

Thanks for the info you had. worst case scenario on the early style heads i may just run it with a first gen ECM. But I can't see why the different style chambers would make that much difference. I will live and learn on that one..... (If anyone has done this, or used first gen heads on a second gen 4.0 Please chime in!) As for the block I've already fab'd up new mm brackets to fit the second gen mounts and placement. I also plan to delete the EGR (as this was my first reason for swapping in an early style 4.0). Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I apologize for my late response. PS, my CEL was removed by the previous owner... hmmmm......;)
The combustion chambers play a big part iin the amount of tatal ignition timing need for the most effiecient burn and power. Wroong amount of timing andd you will loose alot of power, too much timing and you run into "knock" which will destroy an engine in short order.

Good job! It's actually rare we hear back from someone that started a project that completed it.

Back