• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Early bronco Dana 20

sicaz66

Reaction score
City, State
san diego,ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 v8 explorer xlt AWD
Anyone done it yet? thats my plan.advanced adapters has a kit.i just happen to and early version of the Dana 20(better gearing on the t-shift style) also easy to twin stick. Other option is a np205...have one of those too. Was thinking that would be cool to do a doubler with an np203... Yup got that too...:D probably go Dana 20 due to size vs.strength and weight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sicaz66

Reaction score
City, State
san diego,ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 v8 explorer xlt AWD
Even better.. My 97' has vss at trans .they have a Dana 20 adapter.

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
Make sure you get a HD output on the Dana 20 the stock ones break easy

sicaz66

Reaction score
City, State
san diego,ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 v8 explorer xlt AWD
I'm not too worried about it. I've owned early broncos since the 90's . Owned over 100. Never broke a Dana 20.probably only know 2-3 that did break.

sicaz66

Reaction score
City, State
san diego,ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 v8 explorer xlt AWD
I would've thought more guys would've gone this route? compact,tough as nails,cheap,easy to find transfer case that seems relatively easy to install with the proper adapter.i know the early bronco guys have been doing the motor and trans swaps into broncos for years. I'll have to do a write up on what I figure out when I get to that point.

Kirby N.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
I researched it, but I think they are big compared to a 1354- as far as fitting between the frame rails- and the low range ratio isn't all that good?

sicaz66

Reaction score
City, State
san diego,ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 v8 explorer xlt AWD
They are one of the smallest cases you can put behind the 4r70w. Buy a ZF adapter and 1/2" spacer from AA. Don't forget the special seal, then it's a bolt on deal so you won't even have to touch the crossmember.

sicaz66

Reaction score
City, State
san diego,ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 v8 explorer xlt AWD
On the bench so far so good.vss plugs right in!:thumbsup: may have to trim crossmember.for front driveshaft. Have the spacer.waiting on adapter.started on sas swap.

sicaz66

Reaction score
City, State
san diego,ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 v8 explorer xlt AWD
It's in ! Fits like a glove super easy swap.

nesmyle91

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Any updates regarding this build?