• Register Today It's free!

East coast wheeling?

JayR

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Xplr Sport
Any organized events either explorers or not going on in the Pa, Md, NC area, or just anywhere on the east coast, This will be my first attempt at 4 wheeling, comon guys i know you know somewhere...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking Too!

I think you may want to post the same message under General Explorations, this forum here is for mods. I live in Baldwin MD and there are few places the state government is willing to let us use our own land for 4 wheeling. I'm going to check with the DNR, I'll let you know what I find.

I'm going to move this thread into the Serious Explorations section.

Me too

I'm not new to 4-wheeling, but to the region, well, the country. I have no clue what is legal here in the U.S. and what not. What we need is a trail guide.
BTW, I live in VA.

You're right about the fact that there are few places in MD to go wheeling, I'm not even sure of any. I know VA will have some places, just not sure where they are. I would love to go wheeling, I am going to be lifting my truck and will have everything done in about a month or so. As soon as that date comes I will be ready to go. I'd like to see a big East Coast run, there is Penndel and NJ Pines, but I would like to see an East Coast version of Truckhaven! Keep posting and we will see where this goes. Any ideas and imput will be great!

I'm in Ohio, and there's not much here. I did meet up with a few wheelers at Penndel and Pine Barrens and had a great time. That's worth doing on a weekend.

Other than that, I'm holding out for Paragon, PA. You'll want to keep your eyes open for a thread on that. You may also want to look at the old thread (use search) to find out more about the place. It could be the Truckhaven of the east, though I don't think that there are as many lifted Explorers on this half of the country.

I once stumbled across a web site that showed some wheeling in PA near some old coal mines. It was interesting because one of the mines was burning underground, and had been for many years. I can't remember off hand where that web site was, but it may be worth a "google" search.

I also want to do Attica, Indiana, but that's not on the East coast so it may or may not interest you.

Some Virginia Wheeling

I did take a trip down to the Shenandoah last fall. Inside of the Massanutten mountains just east of I81 from Strasburg to Harrisonburg there are at least some four wheeling trails, not even on the radar screen for a serious off-roader, but still convenient to our general area. The old CCC Camp Roosevelt is back in there as are some old charcoal furnaces with camping. The great thing is that you can loop in at the southern route and then be traveling steady towards home as you enjoy the ride.
I also believe there are more serious trails west of I83 in the George Washington National Forest. I also read about a "Camp Jeep" that was held on a gigantic estate just outside of Charlottesville. Car & Driver did a magazine for Daimler/Chrysler called 'Great Rides' or something like that. Of course the only place to find that particular rag is in a dentist's office, of course, like I did. But then who would buy a Jeep anyway?

That's a beginning! Thanks for the tip, bluescat.

In Arvonia, VA, south of Palmyra (south of I64) the Land Rover Owners Club of Virginia is having their annual Mid-Atlantic Rallye somewhere in October. It is a really great event with about 200 Rovers joining. Unluckily it is on privat land and restricted to Land Rovers. Thinking that Ford bought the Brits this year -- blue oval, green oval ... :D

Thanks for all the info, keep this thread going. Also This will be one of my first times out, and id love to plan a whole weekend with you guys. Some explorers, whatever it doesnt matter, I know I can get 2 people here from Annapolis to go, Lets find a place and set a date, East Coast Explorer's.

You guys should seek out some 4WD clubs. There must be some in your states. They all do monthly runs. Look up their websites and check their run calenders for ideas on places to go. I can't believe that there are whole states with no place to wheel.
Incidently, I'm originally from Massachusetts, and used to cruise the woods in a '54 Willys.

well im in Pa and i know of some pretty cool trails here i went with Tom to Pendell ( wich i know that place like the back of my hand i been there so many times) Pendell is not that big But if you want to talk big PARAGON is the way to go the got trails mild to WILD ask TANK or EAGLE they will tell you the same paragon is the beast wheeling in PA by far.

there is a nother place 5 mins. from pendell that is good for a beginer to test out their limits there is alot of places out there that have to be EXPLORED.

Pendell

Hey im going up to Pa sunday night, monday id like to find some trails ill be in york, Where is pendell or any trails from therE??

well york is west of pendell and the twin bridges.

Your looking at about a 2 hour ride if you want to ill be more the happy to take you to the twin bridges?

Im in DC area and head to VA, PA to wheel, live in MD. The club I belong to is Dead Link Removed You can get on the mail list and find out when rides are announced a couple pick up rides a month, and other trips less frequently. Meet every month with alternating locations in MD and VA. Rigs go from Stock to Wild (TJ's Broncos, CJs are the majority with some pathfinders, blazers, a few dodges, suzukis (including a grand vitara) in the mix) and the rides range from beginner to S**t your pants fun. Prob. over 60 members now, I think I may have the only Navajo/Explorer though.

Where do we go?, a favorite is the GWNF around Harrisonburg, and Edinburg, a drive from DC but its whats avail. and legal. Trips to Paragon Park in Hazelton PA, about 5 times a year, and another Offroad park in Altoona PA run by Dave Walls. twice so far this year. Also a bunch of people in the club go to BIG DOGS which is held in VA about an hour west of DC on private land during June and Sept. (hoping to make the sept event myself) they have trails of all ratings for three days of the best eastcoast wheeling-so Ive been told. MD has few public trails, the greenridge park has some- but from reports are not much more than dirt roads, also some camp out on Assateuge(sp)and wheel the beach there. We are always looking for new LEGAL places to wheel.

There is a clean up trip going down to harrisonburg this weekend they are going to do some trail clean up and then wheel a bit if you want the leaders name let me know- the trails are good easy to moderate stuff- I would be going but I am heading to the Outer Banks

Thanks alot for the offer, but Im now going down to Ocean city for the week, I really would love to come up to Pa and have you show me around, My ride is still stock(mostly) and I want to see what she can do. Thank you steve also.

SteveVB, I clicked on the link to the OffCamberCrawlers in your post, but I just get error. Is it just me, or is something wrong with that link?

East Coast Run

Ok guys,
Let's keep this going....
I am in SW Florida but would be game for a run anywhere within a 12-18 hour drive. I was planning to hit Ocala National Forest last weekend (sight of the bi-annual Hummer Challenge) but got sick and had to postpone until the middle of August. I would love to see something in the Apalachains - there has to be some great trails to hit in through there...

JonM

Micheal

The link is correct, I am getting a could not connect message also, dont know what is up. I last looked at it last week so Something must be up, sent an e-mail to see what the prob is. Ill post the response later, or you can try at a later time.

I'm going to try to contact Tank who has some connections with an east coast club that is planning a Paragon, PA trip. Maybe he can post some details. A large grouping of Explorers would be interesting to say the least. Perhaps we could even contact them ourselves if we can get a big enough group together. Post if you are interested and I can start another thread.

BTW, Steve, I found Edinburg on the map, but not Harrisonburg. In fact, Edinburg isn't that far from me, maybe about 4 hours or so. Hmmmm....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tom, about 30 miles to the south-southwest of Edinburg, following I-81 is Harrisonburg. (Approx 38°50' N 78°45' W) The name was probably written in too big letters for you to notice. :D

I would be very interested in doing something, but it will not be befor mid August that I have the time (and not befor October that I will have decent tires :( )

Back