Easy Fuel Cap Ring Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy Fuel Cap Ring Issue

Three Pennies

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT 4WD
Hi all...

I have a 2011 Explorer. The other day at the gas station the gentleman asked me to step out of the car to see something. Turns out either he or the previous person who filled the tank had popped out my Easy Fuel ring around the gas filler tube.

I now have three pieces. The outer plastic ring with the Easy Fuel stamp and two small clips that seem to need to latch onto some sort of spring clip??, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Is there a diagram somewhere showing how to install this? I'm striking out in my search everywhere. Ford customer service of course told me to bring it to a dealer. I could possibly be missing a piece at this point, but not sure without seeing the installation.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you identify the parts from this illustration? Fuel System Components for 2011 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
Here is what the one on my 2017 looks like.

Peter

fuel filler.JPG

That's a good question, I'm not sure anything jumps off this diagram as what I have... maybe #10? Here are two pics: #1 is the part and the clips that popped off, # 2 is what it looks like now. Hopefully this can just snap back in somehow. Thanks.

20180702_114501.jpg

20180702_114517.jpg

Is there anything on the bottom of that ring that those clips would 'clip' to? It looks like those clips might sit in those small grooves shown in the 2nd picture. Just a guess.

Peter

Yes, so as you'll see in this photo.... these clips sit right into the groove. You can also see on the previous photo that there are grooves on the car for it to sit on as well. For the life of me though, I cant get everything to stay together which led me to believe I could be missing something, but just cant find any sort of diagram anywhere on this exact part. There must be a proper way to get it all seated and clicked in place.

20180702_171910.jpg

Do they lock on the sliver pins that look bent in the last picture? Look to see if those pins are supposed to go across the opening into the other side. Just a guess

Do they lock on the sliver pins that look bent in the last picture? Look to see if those pins are supposed to go across the opening into the other side. Just a guess
The problem is that there is nothing to hold the locking pins in place. I don't know if the two small circles on the side of the slot where the locking pins sit are an indication that some retaining pins broke off or not. It's a puzzler. I think a trip to the dealer is likely in store.

Peter

Yes, so as you'll see in this photo.... these clips sit right into the groove. You can also see on the previous photo that there are grooves on the car for it to sit on as well. For the life of me though, I cant get everything to stay together which led me to believe I could be missing something, but just cant find any sort of diagram anywhere on this exact part. There must be a proper way to get it all seated and clicked in place.

View attachment 160670

This shot is upside down. You figured out the little black J hooks, they fit into the two slots in the bottom picture from first thread. I really think the hook piece is supposed to go over those silver pins in the last picture in first post. If they go all the way across and lock in.

Update: With no luck on my own I ended up bringing this issue into the dealer to have them look at it. Turns out it cannot be properly fixed as is. I was surprised when they said this since i didn't receive any sort of evap emissions type engine light codes, but it seems this piece is the top of the fuel filler tube and they thought i would eventually get that type of code. They needed to order the part and quoted me around $400, so that's where i'm at now. Still not quite sure how this was able to happen, unless a gas station attendant tried to twist it thinking it was a cap?? Either way, on the next thing... Just wanted to pass along the update to help anyone else in the future. Cheers!

$400? You may want to get check with another dealer as well, that seems outrageous to me for such a small item. I know plastic on our cars is expensive, but that's beyond expensive.

Update: With no luck on my own I ended up bringing this issue into the dealer to have them look at it. Turns out it cannot be properly fixed as is. I was surprised when they said this since i didn't receive any sort of evap emissions type engine light codes, but it seems this piece is the top of the fuel filler tube and they thought i would eventually get that type of code. They needed to order the part and quoted me around $400, so that's where i'm at now. Still not quite sure how this was able to happen, unless a gas station attendant tried to twist it thinking it was a cap?? Either way, on the next thing... Just wanted to pass along the update to help anyone else in the future. Cheers!
Did they tell you exactly what it was that had to be ordered? Unless labour is 75-80% of the cost, I don't see anything remotely near that cost in this parts diagram that has to do with the filler tube. Fuel System Components for 2011 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Back