Easy steps to changing the background color of Ford emblems - Derek Hartman | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy steps to changing the background color of Ford emblems - Derek Hartman

I've been picking a lot of things up from the Ranger Forum lately, and this one takes the cake. This is a VERY simple way to change the background color of your Ford Emblem, it doesn't have to be blue! All it takes is some sand paper, paint, and some clear coat. Here are the steps:

Step 1 - You will need to get the actual blue center part of the emblem out of the chrome casing that's around it. To do this, use a hair dryer or heat gun and spend about 5 minutes heating both sides of the emblem. The center part is held on with some apoxy. Once it is heated good, use something flat (such as a knife or small screwdriver) and pry the center part out.

Step 2 - Once you have the center part out, sand the back until all of the left over apoxy and the blue part is off. It will look a clear/white color when you sand all of the blue paint off. I used 150 grit sandpaper to do this because it was the only thing I had around the house. Once all the blue paint is off the back of the center part, wet sand LIGHTLY to smoothen everything out.

Step 3 - Mask off the front of the emblem, and spray the sanded side with a color of your choice (I chose black). Allow to dry THROUGHLY!

Step 4 - When the paint is dry and you remove the tape, you see that the background color is no longer corporate blue, but the color of YOUR choice! If necessary, wet sand the front side of the center piece and spray a few coats of clear coat onto it. I did this because I had a few chips from rocks, etc.

Step 5 - Replace the center piece back into the chrome surround using double sided tape or apoxy. Re-attach the emblem to your Ex, and enjoy!

There's no need to spend $30 online for colored emblems, it's simple to make them yourself!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Explorer4u2c
Do pink. lol..

LOL..
an explorer with a pink ford logo:eek:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Help guys!!! I took my emblem out today and attempted to pry the blue oval out but I ended up chipping the plastic. :mad: I heated the plastic up with a hair dryer and then used a flat head precision screwdriver and it didn't budge at all. Help!!!!

BTW, this is what my truck looks like without the grill. :p

102902DSC00026.JPG

hrmmm this is cool. once i get mine painted (a chameleon grey color that changes to blue and green) i will paint the emblem the same color and sand the chrome "Ford" part and paint it black so it stands out :) ill post pix when i do it.

96explorereddiebauer:
since i havent done this i dunno what to say, but i will say i surely know what my xploder looks like with the front off, i have it off more than it's on :D ;)

bumpity bump...

I haven't had that much of a problem getting it loose, but what if you could shoot some goo gone between the chrome and the plastic with a syringe or something.

well this thread ended yp costin me a new emblem, when i heated it up (to the point i couldnt even hold it it was soo hot!) i used a screwdriver and half of FORD broke off royally fubaring my emblem. now im pissed off!

Sorry to hear that.

**EDIT** Every emblem is different, so try it at your own risk.

can you buy an emblem at a ford dealership? if so, then if your emblem breaks while trying this, you can pick up a new one and just paint that one:)

Originally posted by LStoudenmire
New emblems are $18.00 from Ford.
well i should point out that the emblem looked like sh** when i started, it was begining to fade. so im gonna go to the salvage yard so i dont have to go to the a** rapists at Ford parts.

Not sure if you want to keep the chrome around the emblem, but the Stock emblem on the 94 front grille is a 4". (That is the measurement including the chrome "frame") If you want to get rid of the chrome around the emblem, look for a 4.5" emblem and the plastic insert (the part you sand) should be 4". I have done that and used double sided tape to apply it to the grille.

My truck is black so I have done away with as much chrome as I can. Not sure if you can understand my instructions, but just let me know if you have any other questions.

Greetings from the Taurus / SHO folks!
Hi fellas! I'd just like to say THANKS to whoever figured this out... I'm going to try it out on my SHO later this evening. I haven't seen anyone post pics yet of how theirs came out, so maybe I can enlighten everyone when I get it done. I'm just not sure what color I want because my car is Opal Frost and I have the silver and blue theme going. Anyone think white would blend too much with the Ford script?
Also wanted to point out since no one else has yet, if you ruin your emblem in the process of attempting this, go to a junkyard for a new one! I'm am the biggest fan of junkyards. I have over $300 worth of parts on my SHO that I paid roughly $25 for at the boneyard. 'Course it helps to know the guy that owns the place, but they are a great resource for used parts, including emblems!!
Thanks again for the great idea!

Here's an older one of my SHO... taken in July at the National SHO Convention in Frederick, MD.
convstaginglanes.jpg

The SHOfast Performance banner is no longer on the car. I think I'm going to rip the SHO decal off the windshield and add a Yamaha banner if I get one for Christmas like I asked for... heh
intakemanifold.jpg

The intake... I'm about to polish my fuel rail and fill in the lettering with blue.

makeup2.jpg

And a goofy one of me. :)

Never got a chance to play with the emblems last night but I plan to do so this afternoon. I'll post pics when its done.

We had one and a plate that said "SHO Time" kinda dorky but I liked it.:p

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Ford trunk emblem from an SHO in "distressed silver". :D Took me about an hour to do. I'm gonna do the one on the grill tomorrow and my bf wants me to make him some black ones for a Christmas gift, so it looks like I'm off to the junkyard to pick up a sackful of Ford emblems on Monday. :) I haven't put it back on the car yet... gonna wait till its a little warmer out tomorrow. I'll take another pic of it on the car.

fordemblem.jpg

PS: Excuse the crappy scan. My scanner is a piece. :) To achieve the "distressed" look, I waited for the silver paint to dry, then scratched it off in different places.

Looks good

Damn Hartman you are such an influence. Now that I have a black 2nd gen I feel like I am duplicating your truck. Painting the brown bumpers black and now a black emblem. haha Im so un-original.

Back