• Register Today It's free!

easy upgrade to memory seat?

JPFREEK

Reaction score
City, State
Federal Way, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hey there.. I have a '95 Explorer that has the leather seating option with power seats (lumbar/bolstors)... However, since my rig is an XLT, I don't have the memory upgrade (but would like it!).

Does anyone know if the memory module is installed on the power seats by default?

At any rate, if it is, then cool. If not, I'll have to find one to buy.

My question is that after the memory module, is all I need is the switch and the proper door panel? (or modify my existing panel to fit the switch)?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You do not have module and I'm going to bet none of the wiring either. It maybe just as easy to get the track from a limited and wire up the switch on the side of the seat. Not exactly factory, but much easier than having to run the wires through the tiny tube going into the door. Besides, alot of cars have the memory seat installed on the seat trim, so it could easily be passed off as factory.

You do not have module and I'm going to bet none of the wiring either. It maybe just as easy to get the track from a limited and wire up the switch on the side of the seat. Not exactly factory, but much easier than having to run the wires through the tiny tube going into the door. Besides, alot of cars have the memory seat installed on the seat trim, so it could easily be passed off as factory.

When you say that I need the "track" from a limited, what exactly do you mean? the whole track that the seat mounts to?

why would I need the entire track vs. just the module? Ease of installation, ie: does the track have the module installed already and it would be easier to swap my seat to the track? Or is the module not able to be installed on a normal power seat?

either way, I appreciate the help and the idea.. installing the switch on the side of the seat would be alot easier and less expensive (seeing as how I wouldn't have to get a new door panel). I'm pretty handy with the dremel!

Much appreciated!

I'm near sure that the module is integrated with the seat track. And swapping the entire track and module I believe would be much easier. I'm also pretty certain that anything between 93(I thin Gen1 limiteds had memory seats) and '01 would work.

The memory seat is a somewhat complicated system. The module is under the seat, the whole track can likely be swapped. The wiring going to the door is no big deal, the door panel is one of two big problems.

The Limited door panels are different, you cannot mount the memory switch where it goes on a Limited door panel. You can mount it above the mirror switch, but just barely, I did it.

The real trouble is the one wire which goes to the GEM module of 95-01 trucks. I am not sure if the same signal exists in all GEM modules, I know which it is and can point you to it. The 93-94 Limiteds have the same wire, but it goes to a generic kind of trans-in-gear signal wire. I would suggest trying to find that kind of signal, the 93/94 memory seat modules may actually be better for that reason.

I have plans to install the system in my 98 Mountaineer, but I have just finished wiring the system for my 99 Limited. I used a combination of my 93 Limited seats and wiring. There is another power wire for the module which must go to a wire that comes from the dash harness, it may not be in normal trucks either, but it is a kind of power wire. Good luck,

Attachments

• Projectthread102.JPG
    Projectthread102.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 405

I installed 94 Limited Seats into my X, and gave up on getting the memory module to work.....so I re-wired the seat to work like a non-limited seat, and I have a normal power seat that LOOKS like the memory seat offered in the Limited..LOL

btw, I still have that module...

Ryan

Guys, if the components are all good(my 99 seat isn't I believe), then the only tough parts are locating the two odd wires. One is just the power for the seat module, it's lt.green/yellow. The other is that wire I mentioned above, it simply disables the memory seat function when the vehicle is in gear. Both wires I think can be supplied with a little effort.

I shall try to use my 98 GEM module to work with the seat, but if that doesn't work, finding a signal from the neutral safety switch may work. Installing all of the other wires and switch is the majority of the project though.

Sounds like you can either supply constant power to that signal wire or do nothing at all with it. I honestly wouldn't worry about properly wiring it up with a retro fit.

Well they both have to have a signal of some kind. I had everything else but those done, and the seat would not move at any time. After hooking them up I still had nothing, but that turned out to be a wiring mistake. My 99 limited has two wires along the door which are yellow/lt.green, or lt.GN/yellow(I forgot). One is for the air bag or speaker, which didn't do the job. The other is the one that I was after, and my 99 harness had been cut before. I was guessing about those two same colored wires. The wire needed goes up into the dash harness behind the fuses. Once that was done it all worked fine.

Well they both have to have a signal of some kind. I had everything else but those done, and the seat would not move at any time. After hooking them up I still had nothing, but that turned out to be a wiring mistake. My 99 limited has two wires along the door which are yellow/lt.green, or lt.GN/yellow(I forgot). One is for the air bag or speaker, which didn't do the job. The other is the one that I was after, and my 99 harness had been cut before. I was guessing about those two same colored wires. The wire needed goes up into the dash harness behind the fuses. Once that was done it all worked fine.

By chance did you take any more pics of your project? Specifically, which two wires need to be run to the dash and where you hooked them in? I'm not quite sure where my GEM module is..

this vehicle is a bit more complicated than my '95 Jeep Wrangler due to the fact it has all the creature comforts and bells and whistles that my jeep doesn't have.

The system is wired like this, minus those two odd wires; five or six wires go from the seat to the door panel switch. One goes from the switch to a full time hot lead from the dash or door jamb, an easy thing to get. The seat connector also has the expected large ground wire and power wire that all power seats use.

That leaves just the two odd wires which power the seat module, and enable the module when the truck isn't in gear. I didn't take a picture of that GEM module wire in my 99, but it is easy to identify. It is in the bottom of the three connectors, and red/black, just like many wires of the same color, one or two also in the GEM.

The GEM module is mounted on the right side of the steering column, behind the radio. Pull out the radio and bezel, and the GEM module is right there inside on the left. Whoever gets to the point where it all is installed except those two wires, jumping to that GEM terminal will be fairly easy. Test it directly with a testing wire before installing a permanent wire along the floor, into dash etc. The same should go for the module power wire, that one should be easy also to connect to a power signal. My truck is functional and I can easily get at and test those wires.

Plan for the memory switch and that wiring first, acquire the needed seat connector and those wires from a donor vehicle. I'll be around here to help, good luck.

Back