• Register Today It's free!

Eating speedometer gears

sodjer6

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport/'04 XLT
So my Explorer has suddenly developed a taste for speedometer gears. This all started after the oh so fun speedometer bounce. I replaced the VSS, speedometer gear on the VSS, and also had the VSS gear in the transfer case replaced. The first gear lasted about a week. Suddenly the speedometer was about 20mph off, pulled the gear and it was warn with 1 broken tooth. Thought maybe the new VSS gear was a little too much and just needed to "break in". So I get a new one and it's been fine for the last 2 weeks, now the needle is bouncing again. However I noticed that under acceleration the needle travel is smooth...

Is it possible that something else is wrong here? Aside from the gnawing of gears? I don't believe it to be electrical(VSS with drill attached=smooth needle, no bouncing) - The smooth needle under load made me wonder, would it be possible that a bearing on the output shaft(probably made that up, as I know squat about it, but it sounded good :thumbsup:) is shot, leaving play in the shaft chewing up the gears? While I was under there last I did grab the driveshaft and gave it a good shake, couldn't feel any play in it.

At this point I'm thinking maybe I should just find another T-Case swap it in and see what happens. Taking this route it's safe to look at 4405's from 95-97 correct?(VSS moved to rear diff in 98 if I read correctly)

Thanks!

Back