Eaton Posi LSD

Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Gday guys, just after a bit of advice.

I am thinking about installing a Eaton Posi LSD in the old 8.8 in the explorer as the old Trac Loc LSD is Toast.

What is involved with installing this unit, it’s second hand and has travelled 1000 miles (Buying from member off this forum)
Do I need a new set of shims and axle seals?
How do they compare to the Stock Trac Loc LSD?

I take it my existing Crown wheel just bolts onto this unit and then the Eaton Carrier just slots back into the Pumpkin “Diff housing” where the Trac Loc LSD used to be yes?

Do you think it is worth the effort of swapping it in.?

A Diff Loc isn’t on the cards as I am selling the X shortly but if I can get this unit hear cheaply then I may just do it, Cost to Ship it to Australia and if I need new shims and axle seals will be the deciding factor as if it runs up more than $300-$400 AUS total I won’t worry about it.

Cheers for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An Eaton is definitely better than the Ford Trac-Loc for durability. I have a stock Ford Trac-Loc in my Mach 1 and it works quite well at the moment. Longevity is the issue with the Ford unit. The clutches wear out.

As for installation, you will need to do a complete re-set of the gears. IIRC, the Eaton uses a different carrier.

I would suggest buying a re-build kit for your existing Trac-Loc. They are not that expensive, and you don't have to remove the carrier to do it.

weres a good place to get the rebuild kits at?

are you going offroading?

if yes then go for a locker.easy to install and friendly in everyday driving.

i need one for my explorer. 137000 miles and my factory limited slip still works, but i just need more.

Replacing one clutch-based limited slip for another clutch-based limited slip is a waste of money in my opinion. They're both clutch-based and neither one actually truly limits the slip of the wheel with less traction.

For an 8.8, I'd go TruTrac all the way. It's a helical gear-based limited slip that does truly limit the slip of the wheel with less traction. The local driveline shop here state-side can install one for $500 if I'm not re-gearing, as they don't need to pay for shipping (They can get it locally from Reider Racing).

-Joe

Thanks guys, I have decided agenised getting ti now, I am up in the air about selling it at the moment so I may just leave it for now.

A true track would defiantly be on the cards if I decided to keep it thoe.

Cheers.

Back