Eaton Supercharger | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Eaton Supercharger

So it could just be a matter of bolting up an older version that would work just like factory....that is very good to hear. Even if I have to add the return fitting, it shouldn't take much.
I apreciate your imput Blk Mk8, you've been very helpful.

Oh, thought you'd like to know that I called about ordering the charger this morning ;) It's looking more, and more like this is going to happen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, I'm going to have other V6 competition! :confused:

I guess I just have to stay ahead of the curve ;) Hmm, the nitrous kit I have on order should do the trick!

:D got one of those in my back pocket too ;)
So you are really gettting it, or is "the check in the mail?" :p That will be sweet to hear how it does, and that way you can tell me what not to do with it when you blow your motor first :D
I just want to get the charger running proper and safe first. I'm also ordering the 66mm Thorttle Body, and doing an exhaust when I do the charger. BTW, I haven't been able to find a MAS for the '98, is there any perticular reason for this?

Alec, you live in Tx right? Well I'll be comming out there in March for the TX2K2 Supra event with some friends. I'll be driving my Ex, and will hopefully have most of this stuff done. You should try to come out and meet with us. Same goes for anyone else in that area (have to get details on where all this is going on). There will be alot of Supras there pushing 700+ RWHP!!!! Some WELL over that.

Hey Godfather, you can check out (dead link) they have it I'm sure cause I checked. :)

Alright so I got my ass chewed out by my parents. I told them that I'm going to put nitrous back on it, and my mom startin' freakin' out about how it's a new car and it's so big and no matter what you do to it, it won't go fast. I just told her that she didn't know what was going on, and so and on so forth. (They're paying for the car that's why she cares) Then my dad comes in and says that I screwed up my tranny about a year ago, and he asked me if it was due to the nitrous. I said no, it was due to misuse i.e. my gunning it everywhere I went and havin' fun with it and whatnot. And it was probably due to the nitrous, cause I was trigger happy, but they don't know that. :D Anyway, I got lectured about why I'm going to put so much money into a car and everything, and if I was living by myself I wouldn't even think about buying this and that for the car, I couldn't even pay bills (so true, but I'm not living by myself hehe) and then how I don't support the family or whatever.. I dunno..

All in all, I can't put nitrous on the X, nor could I put a supercharger on it because 1) I don't have the money and 2) it would take a few days in the shop and my parents would know. So all I can do is do basic bolt ons.. so I'm thinking about changing my y-pipe and everything before the cats (I dunno why we have so many cats... I have 4) to 3", throw a 3" hi-flow cat on there, then after the muffler let it run a 2.5" tailpipe. Anyone know if changing the y-pipe gives any good gains or not? I know on Nissan Maxima that's probably your best bolt on cause it gives like 15 more hp. Anyway, then I could bust it with a MAS and bigger TB.. and that's about it :( :mad: :( Should I just save my money or go ahead and bust the exhaust, TB and MAS? Is it really worth it? Please let me know.. cause I've got this damn fever about souping up my X! I know it can go fast....

Yeah I met up with Alec the other night and went for a ride on his car. It's pretty amazing how fast it goes from 45 to 60. Nice off the line jump too, and man... that whine just makes me smile. I want one...:(

And with that nitrous set up and what Alec was telling me, a good 55 shot before the TB is going to make a good 75-80 to the wheels on his car. Now he says he ran a good 15.4 at the track.. if he took off all those lights, his roof rack, his subs, put some octane booster in there on a good winter day.. up the shot to 75... I'd say mid 14s easy. :eek:

One day Alec, when you decide to get rid of that car.. I'm here for ya. Since we basically have the same engine.. :)

yeah, man that sucks about your parents. mine were the same way. my truck only had rims and the fipk until it was they gave it to me for graduation. i can't wait to see their faces when it comes home next spring a completely new vehicle. just stick it out and do what you can when you can. that's what i did, and my moms even has the mod bug now on her escape, (escape project thread in other ford trucks section of the site) what will be really fun will be to have all of the other kids from town see my truck. everyone thought i was crazy doing stuff to an x. I always talked it up and bragged about it and it never got any respect, but by the time it goes home in the spring eight months after it left it will be something special. I'm only half way there now and the pics in my sig are already a bunch of mods behind. i can't wait to show everybody what i've created. so good luck, and don't give up on your truck. one other piece of advice, keep it clean, don't drive it roughly in front of the rents, and change the oil and fluids etc. at the correct intervals. if your parents see you responsibly taking care of it and treating it properly they will be more open to letting you customize it.

Wally,
It was about 5 months from the time the supercharger went on to when they knew about it. I payed for it, with a loan from my grandfather. Now they love it, both my parents take it out every once in a while when they need a big smile on their faces. Their cars are as fast or faster, but it's different in a 4500 lb truck than in my dad's little roadster. They probably won't know about the N2O for a while, as well. However, my truck is in my name and I do most of the work on it so they trust me. Also, they've seen my driving skills and recognize that I can handle it. They do pay the insurance and gas though, so I tell them most of the stuff ;)

Godfather, I'll be in Austin this spring. So depending on where the meet is, I might be able to meet ya. When I was living in Austin for college, I met a bunch of the Supra guys, most are cool. Then there's the 1000+ hp Lexus SC300 :eek: My employer has 2 fast cars, so he might be interested also: a 14 sec 1996 Passat and a 12 sec VR6 Golf. We're probably gonna go racing twice a month when I move there.

BTW, with the N2O, I'm hoping to break into the 13s :bounce: Hopefully I won't do this: :roll: And I never do :chug: and :exp:

hey alec, how'd it go over with them when they first found out? my parents would probably not kill me or take my truck in the same situation, but the first two or three hours would definitely be exciting.:hammer: :hammer:

hehe, yeah they don't have to know about everything, but then again I live with them. So unless I can install the supercharger in less than a day at a friend's house, then it's going to be nearly impossible. Especially with my skills.. or lack of. Hell I don't even know how to change my oil! (By the way.. how do you change your oil??) I think I'll just wait off, learn some basic stuff on my car, and slowly get some bolt ons for it. Man I wanted that TB this week too.. and I was so close to getting it. I guess now I have to go to the bank and get another credit card cause someone stole mine. :fire:

You'd still benefit from the TB without the supercharger, especially with intake, exhaust, and chip. I had my TB for over a year before my blower I think.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the TB without my parents knowing. Also maybe the MAS as well.. but not sure about that cause it's costly and I've heard people say it doesn't work that well or give you that much gains. I might stick with the JET module for now, but I should really switch to superchips since I'm getting a bigger TB and possibly MAS. I talked to the guy with the superchips group buy and he said I could get a flip chip for $350 + shipping (which is like 5 bucks). That's a good $70 bucks off the retail price. Sounds like a good deal, but you guys know me, I'm indecisive and things just keep popping up. And my dad doesn't have a job right now so I feel bad when I'm blowing 300 bucks on a peice of thing for my car. We'll see what happens.

You guys ever heard of spiralmax? Go to (dead link) for more information. But basically it's this little metal thing with what looks like razor blades on it, and it fits into your intake tube is suppose to create this vortex with the incoming air and make it swirl faster and more air into your TB, giving you more gas mileage and power. Well I forgot that I got one a long time ago, and I was messing around with my intake today trying to see how I would fit the throttle body on and if it would be an easy job and whatnot. Well it was put right in front of my TB, so I moved it into the middle of my intake tube, and if could have been that the car was cold and just started for the first time today, but when I went to go pick up my sister, my exhaust was louder, the engine was smoother and so was acceleration. Not dragstically, but noticeable. What do you guys think about this thing? I heard it's all BS.. but you never know.

WOW, you guys have been busy in these last few hours.

Sux about your parents, but I had the same problem with my first project...I ended up doing everything anyway, needless to say it kinda pissed them off but it prepared them for the rest of my life :D.

I think I'm going to order my TB tomarrow, seeing as how it will be good to have enen if all this doesnt work out. I'm still searching for an exhaust...I have not found a bolt on setup for the '98 yet...figure I'll just fab that too, but it would be nice to have some headers.

For all of you TX guys:
Tx2K2 is in Houston March 22-24...I WILL BE THERE :D
If any of you would like/can meet up at this let me know, and we can get something set up. It's going to be ALOT of fun (and all cars are welcome to atend, but I'm not sure about partisipation at the tracks)
:bounce: :bounce:
Come out if you can, we'll make a party of it. :chug:

Hope I didn't miss anything, if so...oh well, I'm sure someone will let me know, and I can get it the next time around. ;)

Great! It's going to be held in Houston, so count me there. Yeah when the times arrives, give me your contact info Godfather and maybe we could meet up. If Alec is interested then we could all meet up somewhere. I love supras so much.. I would take it over a viper or anything any day! Man I'm exicted already.

Hey guys... how do you change your oil? :(

Glad to hear that there might be an X meet...I'm twice as excited about it now :D

OIL: Go to auto zone (or where ever you prefer) and get 5 quarts of oil and and oil filter. ask for help, that's what they are there for.

Start by popping the hood ;)

Remove the oil filler cap (sais oil on it in yellow...very obvious, to the left side of the engine)

Unless it's dropped you won't even need to jack it up.

Lie on your back and slide under the fron bumper looking up at the engine. Locate the oil pan (not on the transmition) on the bottom of the engine. Also locate the oil filter (you can look at the one that you bought as a reference).

Put something under the drain plug (the bolt that looks out of place on the bottom of the oil pan) to catch the oil (5 quarts worth, so it needs to be desent sized).

Remove the drain plug (don't do this right after you drive it or else the oil will be very hot!) and let the oil drain out.

Replace the plug, and move over to the oil filter.

Move your oil catch under it, and twist it off (counter-clockwise), you will probably need a "tool" to do this as it will take some "umph" to break it loose.

Let the oil drain out and discard the old filter.

Get the new filter, and put some (clean) oil on your finger and rub the seal with it (this helps it seal all the way without having to over tighten it).

Put new filter where old one was. ONLY HAND TIGHTEN THIS AS IT WILL SEAL ITS SELF TIGHTER. (but do tighten it all the way down)

Get out from under truck, and pour new oil into oil filler. When finished replace oil filler cap. IMPORTANT: IF YOU FORGET THIS IT WILL GET MESSY, AND CAUSE PROBLEMS.

Go pick up some chicks, cuz you drive the best SUV on earth...or at least until you are ritch and can aford a Navigator ;) (don't forget to check the oil level after you drive it and let it sit for a bit. use the dipstick for this...just pull it out and wipe it off, put it back in...pull it back out and check the reading)

Hope this helps you. (I didn't bother reading back through all that, so if something is wrong with it someone else can fix it :D)

i better go get a vornado or whatever! lmao:D

:rolleyes: :banghead:

Does that work like "rice stickers"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

I've actually seen some research on those things, but I don't remember the specifics about it off the top of my head. I think it just makes the air folw more efficient or something....nothing really as far as noticible HP gains though.

P.S. If you guys get a chance, go to that link for Tx2k2 and check out the RSVP list. There is a VERY well known 1200+ RWHP Supra conformed to be there.

they do make mass air's for your car. i can get you any thing you want. you truck would pick up a lot just from a TB, mass air, exhaust and chip. then the supercharger would do the trick to push it over the ege. did i here some racing action going on here does any one want to race a certain explorer i know. if the explorer is to slow then me and troll will bring out our mustang to play. take a look at it. (dead link)
the pictures dont do it justice though.

Nice Stang, is it finished yet?

Do you live in Tx too? You should bring it out to Tx2K2 and see what you got against the v6's (supras mind you :D )....I'd like to meet you there with the rest of the group. I might email you about some parts that I have been having problems finding. For instance, how much can you get the MAS for? Keep in mind that it is a '98 SOHC, this seems to be the ***** year that no one wants to deal with :fire: :banghead:

I'm planning on doing everything that you mentioned except for the production chip....I'm probably going to have Street and Performance here in Arkansas make me a custom one specifically for me, sence I'l be running the fabbed charger. (I have connections with someone that is tight with them)

the car is 98%done and there are not any supras that can hold a candle to if we turn up the bost. we live in miami so it is not likly we will be seeing texas soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm on the phone ordering my TB right now :D (also asked about the MAS, and they can get it too they just don't keep it in stock...$329.95)

I'm guessing that it hasn't run a 1/4 yet sence it is only 98%....I for one would love to see it's time slips when it finaly does make it to the track :cool:

Back