Eccentric radius arm bushings? Long/short? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Eccentric radius arm bushings? Long/short?

WhiteLX

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 5.0L
I need to replace the radius arm bushings in my 89 Ranger 2wd. I am going to be installing 3" drop beams so this is the perfect time to replace the radius arm bushings.

I have noticed that there are several choices for radius arm bushings. They have standard and eccentric bushings as well as short design and standard design. I'm not exactly sure what to get.

I was thinking about getting the eccentric radius arm bushing because they will allow for a +/- 2 degrees caster adjustment, which will may be helpful after lowering. I'm just not sure if I really need them. I'm keeping the stock springs and just doing the drop beams.

I'm also not sure if I need the standard length or short length radius arm bushings. Why is there a difference?

I've used the Moog problem sover Caster adjusting radius arm bushings. I won't use them again. They are made from some kind of plastic feeling resin. I managed to shatter one at Glamis (in the whoops).. I have since replaced it Moog problem solver rubber RA bushings. I get a some pull to the right due to my caster split being off but I'd rather have the pull then to have to replace a bushing in the field again.

If your not that hard on the vehicle then they should work..

~Mark

make sure the side near the exhaust has a shield over it, if not buy one from ford to keep the bushings from cracking.

Back