• Register Today It's free!

Ecm

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
Just wondering if I get a new ECM, would I have to have it programmed? Or could I just put it in? Also what are some good chips? And where can I get them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not if its made for your year and trans type..there is no good chips out

You will not have to program a new/used PCM

Make sure you get the exact replacement; numbers are on the unit.

No tuner chips available for EEC-IV (OBD-I) computers

A stock replacement PCM requires no tuning. Look for a PCM with the same "catch code" as yours. The catch code is a 4-digit identifier, marked in large letters on your PCM. An example is "UMP1" which is common for a 1994 model with auto trans.

There are no good "plug in and go" chips or modules for the first gen Explorer. There are aftermarket tuning solutions but it is a DIY thing. The TwEECer and Moates Quarterhorse for example will let you tune your stock PCM but you will be doing the work yourself unless you find a performance shop that is willing to dyno tune an OBD-I system.

There is the SCT 4bank elimnator chip also but it isnt per say a ""chip"".it requires a dyno tune.it is only needed for forced induction systems though, a stock or slightly modified motor wont need it.I think I have close to a thousand dollars in my chip and tune, so you can see why it wouldnt be practical unless you are FI

Back