• Register Today It's free!

Ecoboost Carbon Buildup...

keithw1975

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer ST
We just traded our 2015 Sport for a 2019 and I was curious if there had been any changes to the 3.5l Ecoboost to mitigate carbon buildup on the valves or problems with the timing chain rattle at startup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not heard or read about any changes but that's not to say there haven't been any. Although there are threads on both topics, I don't believe they have been widespread issues. Congrats on the new Sport. Now you just have to update your profile.;)

Peter

Not sure if the 3.5 Eco in the FWD versions got it, but the 3.5 Eco in the 2017+ RWD applications now has both DI and port injection. Though it doesn't say it, the port injection will help with the carbon buildup.

Ford Refreshes Its Original EcoBoost V6 And Makes The Jump To 10 Speeds For 2017 F-150 And Raptor

Maybe a quick google would bring it up.

I read your referenced article, but that seems to be talking about the 3.5l 2nd gen Ecoboost, which I don’t think the Explorer has.

I read your referenced article, but that seems to be talking about the 3.5l 2nd gen Ecoboost, which I don’t think the Explorer has.

Like I said in the post, not sure if the FWD platforms got it or not.

Hence the Maybe a quick google would bring it up.....

Like I said in the post, not sure if the FWD platforms got it or not.

Hence the Maybe a quick google would bring it up.....
The 3.5 ecoboost engines were offered on Sport and Platinum trims only, both of which came with AWD as standard. As such, there is no Explorer with the 3.5 eco and FWD.

The 3.5 ecoboost engines were offered on Sport and Platinum trims only, both of which came with AWD as standard. As such, there is no Explorer with the 3.5 eco and FWD.

Pardon my misuse of FWD instead of transverse....

The 5th gen drivetrain is set up like a FWD application.

They are FWD biased.;)

Peter

I think we would have seen the 2nd gen 3.5 if Ford was going to keep it around but with all the issues with the 5th gen platform, Ford did the right thing in killing it.

I was going to get the 2020ST, but had a bad experience with the first model of a redesign years ago, so I always wait a model year or two and this 2019 was discounted heavily. I also love the front end look of the 2019. It reminds me of a Range Rover. :)

That being said, our 2015 was in the shop twice under warranty for timing chain slap and also developed a bit of a rough idle when we traded it at 65k miles.

Be glad your timing chain slap happened in warranty.....seems to be more common that it is out of warranty. 65K You probably avoided the possible failure of the water pump which can be pricey since it is timing chain driven and partially embedded in the block. There was no significant changes to the 2019 since they were putting all the R/D into the 2020 models. I believe the 2019 changes were just a couple of color changes and maybe some package tweaks. Depending on when the second timing chain warranty issue was if it required replacement I would hope but highly doubt that they would R/R the water pump. I say no because if it was under warranty then they are usually going to cover the minimum parts and try to keep their costs down even if it means a repeat visit. Again trying to kick the can down the road and hoping any further failures would be Out of warranty. Way of the world, not just Ford but pretty much every company. Warranty doesn't mean what it used to be.

Back