• Register Today It's free!

EcoBoost Fuel Injector Issue

EmJay

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
My 2014 Sport with 26K miles on it started running very rough, like it was running on 4 or 5 cylinders. The exhaust was so rich with fuel vapors that I was afraid to drive it and had it towed to the dealer. It turns out that a fuel injector was bad and was dumping pure gas into the #2 cylinder.
The good news was that the dealer had a replacement fuel injector, the bad news was that the Ford Service manual says they have to replace some fuel/emissions line if they replace the injector. The really bad news is that this was four weeks ago and they still don't have an ECD for a new line.
I've talked with the NW Ford Customer Service rep (worst customer service I've ever experienced!) and she says that they're having a "source problem" and don't have any idea when the part will be available. The Parts Manager says they haven't seen this problem before, but looking into it he can see that there are nearly 500 backorders in the system for the part.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't recall any similar posts on this Forum. There are some I found but they seem to be about injector cleaners/cleaning. Is your vehicle in the shop or did they give it back to you?

Peter

I don't recall any similar posts on this Forum. There are some I found but they seem to be about injector cleaners/cleaning. Is your vehicle in the shop or did they give it back to you?

Peter
It's in the shop, it's not drivable. The Washington State Lemon Law says that they have 30 days to fix the problem but that's only for vehicles 30 months old or newer. I'd had mine for 32 months when it went into the shop. The Customer Service rep said that they would provide a rental car until mine was fixed, but only up to $30/day. I kinda feel that a $30/day rental doesn't quite replace my $50K Explorer Sport.

They told me today that the part is expected to be released from the supplier on 09/19/2016...:censored:

Hi folks,
1st post here. Enjoyed reading forum for some time though.
Our 2015 sport with 19000mi is @ the dealer with what they said was a stuck open injector. Car started running rough, smoking like a chimney, running rich, fuel fumes out the wazoo. They said the injector was dumping fuel into the #2 cylinder. Said they'd have to replace injector, high pressure fuel lines, manifold gaskets, etc. And possibly could've damaged o2 sensor & cat. Could be over a week until parts arrive. Gave us a Nissan Sentra rental...Wife's pissed! Ain't got no butt air conditioner....Anyone else ever had this problem?

Hi folks,
Our 2015 sport with 19000mi is @ the dealer with what they said was a stuck open injector. Car started running rough, smoking like a chimney, running rich, fuel fumes out the wazoo. They said the injector was dumping fuel into the #2 cylinder. Said they'd have to replace injector, high pressure fuel lines, manifold gaskets, etc. And possibly could've damaged o2 sensor & cat. Could be over a week until parts arrive. Gave us a Nissan Sentra rental...Wife's pissed! Ain't got no butt air conditioner....Anyone else ever had this problem?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, all members are asked to use the 'Search' feature (upper right) before beginning a new thread to see if there is an existing thread on their topic. Yours has been merged with this one. Stuck injectors do not seem to be a big issue. There is another member with injector problems but it seems to be an electrical issue.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ivct-engine-misfire-p0201-p0301-p0316.451787/
Good luck.

Peter

Hi folks,
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, all members are asked to use the 'Search' feature (upper right) before beginning a new thread to see if there is an existing thread on their topic. Yours has been merged with this one. Stuck injectors do not seem to be a big issue. There is another member with injector problems but it seems to be an electrical issue.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ivct-engine-misfire-p0201-p0301-p0316.451787/
Good luck.

Peter
My car was in the shop for 57 days before I finally got it back. The dealer was great, but Ford Customer Service was nearly worthless. The problem part was a AA5Z9J323E Tube Assembly. There was a source problem causing the backlog, this TSB 14-0091 might be related: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM508981/SB-10056462-9689.pdf . I hadn't had a problem with the Tube Assy, but when they replaced the injector, they had to replace the Tube Assy too.

Hi folks,

Let’s get this escalated for you, RollTide16. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

My car was in the shop for 57 days before I finally got it back. The dealer was great, but Ford Customer Service was nearly worthless. The problem part was a AA5Z9J323E Tube Assembly. There was a source problem causing the backlog, this TSB 14-0091 might be related: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM508981/SB-10056462-9689.pdf . I hadn't had a problem with the Tube Assy, but when they replaced the injector, they had to replace the Tube Assy too.
I know I’m a little late to the party, but I’m glad to learn you have your Explorer back, EmJay.

Regarding your experience with the CRC, I’m happy to get it documented for you. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and a brief description of your experience.

Deysha

The saga continues... and is hopefully over!

Shortly after I got my car back from the dealer, the Check Engine light came back on. Back to the shop I went, where the Service Advisor told me that it was probably because they'd had the battery disconnected and I just needed to drive it for a few cycles. If it didn't go out, I should come back the next week.

The next week I was back, with a printout of this forum thread and told them that it probably needed a new O2 sensor and a new cat. I waited in the showroom for 4 hours before the Service Advisor came and told me that, sure enuff, I needed a new O2 sensor and a new cat but they would need to order them since they didn't have them in stock.

A couple of weeks later they had the parts and back I went. Another couple of hours in the showroom and the Service Advisor comes and tells me that the cat didn't come with all the necessary mounting hardware and they'd need to order it and I'd need to come back the next week.

So back I went today to sit in the showroom for another 3+ hours while they finally finished up the repair. They replaced the Bank 1 Catalytic Converter and both the Pre and Post O2 Sensors.

All told, I made 5 trips to the dealer, my car was in the shop 61 days, and the total elapsed time was 105 days!

Now if they could fix the intermittent "Transmission not in Park" message that never occurs when it's in the shop and the CLUNK that the transmission makes when it's first put in gear in the morning....

Has anyone had this issue where they haven't had to replace both the Cat and the O2 sensors? My 2013 is dumping fuel into #5. Dealer says that they may need to replace all of the spark plugs as well.

Also..for the "Transmission not in park" issue. I've noticed the gear shifter button doesn't release all of the way at times. Pressing it a couple times after I actually shift into park seems to do the trick. I was planning on squirting a shot of WD40 up in there in case there was a spring or something that wasn't releasing all the way. As for the clunk...you got me...

Has anyone had this issue where they haven't had to replace both the Cat and the O2 sensors? My 2013 is dumping fuel into #5. Dealer says that they may need to replace all of the spark plugs as well.

Also..for the "Transmission not in park" issue. I've noticed the gear shifter button doesn't release all of the way at times. Pressing it a couple times after I actually shift into park seems to do the trick. I was planning on squirting a shot of WD40 up in there in case there was a spring or something that wasn't releasing all the way. As for the clunk...you got me...
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You may still end up replacing the shifter in the future;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/shift-to-park-warning.375462/

Peter

Follow up.... after mentioning the "Transmission not in Park" to my Service Advisor at every visit over the past few years, on my last visit the Service Manager overheard me and said "Oh, there's a TSB out on that, we can fix that."

Ta da! Problem Gone! TSB 14-0209, as mentioned above and discussed below:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2011-explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/#post-3479302

Will they address even if out of warranty?? Sorry if I am asking something that's already been answered in the thread...

Will they address even if out of warranty?? Sorry if I am asking something that's already been answered in the thread...
They will do it but you will have to pay for it. A TSB is only performed without cost as long as the vehicle is under the factory or ESP Warranty. Some members have done the work themselves as mentioned in the Shift to Park issue thread.

Peter

Back