EcoBoost?

Mighty Mike

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looking
Is it worth the extra money. Thinking of going Sport or Limited. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it worth the extra money. Thinking of going Sport or Limited. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm sure that you will get varying opinions on that question. The ultimate decision is yours. Why not give both versions, Ecoboost and NA 3.5L V6 a test drive and see if you think it's worth it. After all it's your $$.
I had the normal V6 in my 2011 Limited and liked it. I now have the 3.5L Ecoboost and like it better for the power. Will in all likely hood stay with that engine or one similar to it in my next vehicle.

Peter

There is a very noticeable difference in how the two drive. The ecoboost 3.5 pulls pretty hard and I found it immediately more enjoyable to drive around town. But I also regularly tow a boat, so for me those two reasons were key as to why I went with the EB. Ford has done a killer job with these motors. They don't act like many turbo motors that are a little laggy off idle. It is very reactive to your foot, which really helps the driveability and makes it enjoyable to drive.

The nA 3.5 certainly isn't laggy either. It just doesn't have nearly the torque that the EB does. Neither motor is "bad" but if you are a bit of an automotive enthusiast and can swing the EB, then I'd highly recommend going with it. But test drive both and see for yourself.

Thanks for the replies. I suppose a test drive couldn't hurt. I just hate how the sales guys try and suck you in the building. I think I'd be kicking myself if I didn't go with the EcoBoost.

3.5L EcoBoost = Most Smiles per Gallon.
2.3L EcoBoost = The most efficient of the bunch. I have it, and am content with it, but if money were no object, see above. Feels lighter on its feet than it should.
3.5L Naturally Aspirated = Proven workhorse.

Test drives determine all.

Money is definitely not limitless. Lol. I do plan on keeping the next SUV I get for awhile. I'm gonna test drive one this weekend. Thanks for the opinions.

Just got a 2016 Platinum and absolutely love the 3.5L EcoBoost. I had a 2011 with a V6 and loved it, but if you can swing it, the Ecoboost is (personally) a much more enjoyable ride. Financing is so aggressive right now you might be pleasantly surprised.

I also agree that the 3.5L EcoBoost will return the most smiles per gallon. My daughter has a Dodge Durango Citadel with the Hemi V8 and that thing sucks down the fuel and isn't any faster than our Platinum.

I will echo the suggestion to test drive both, but you're smart to do your research first! I usually know more about the vehicles I'm looking at than the sales guys by the time I get to the dealership.

Two things folks haven't mentioned... Gas mileage has been (in my opinion) VERY good to me in my '15 sport. Long term average (including winter/warm ups/mostly local driving) has been 18.5, but on trips I routinely get 22-23, and I'm NOT gentle on the right pedal.

The other thing is watch the other differences between the models... The sport has a really great suspension! It is way tighter in the corners than a lot of the small or medium SUVs I've driven. Very impressive for its size and not too tight for frost heaved New England roads. I'm not up on the '16 or '17 features, but in '15 all the sports also came with the towing package, another plus. I suspect the platinums are similarly built.

Happy shopping! Hope you get a good sales guy. Online reviews of dealerships can be helpful if you're lucky enough to have multiple ones close. Even ask around if you know other folks with Fords to see if you can get a recommendation.

I'm going to say it up front with full bias to get the Sport and don't even look back. This is a 4900lbs SUV and none of the other engine does it justice.

I took delivery of my '16 Platinum last October and thoroughly enjoy the 3.5 EcoBoost every time I drive it. It's a very impressive engine and moves the two-and-a-half-ton SUV with ease. I tend to have a heavy throttle hoof, but I'm averaging approximately 20 mpg combined city and highway. On a recent trip to Pittsburgh, the EcoBoost delivered 23.8 mpg round-trip. I admit to using premium fuel, and while I'm sure it would run fine on regular, I want to make sure I can experience every horsepower I paid for. Test drive one; you will not be disappointed.

Yea...looks like this thread bias to the EcoBoost. It speaks volumes. I'm really liking the Sport especially after watching the video I posted.

FWIW, i just picked up a 2016 limited with the 2.3L EB. Initially I told the dealer i wasn't interested in the smaller engine, and i agree with the above that the 3.5L EB is the most fun. But i was pleasantly surprised with the 2.3EB after a test drive. Much more acceleration than the regular 3.5, and since I'm not towing the 10 less HP doesn't make a difference to me. I get a few extra MPG to boot.

like everyone else said, test drive it and make the determination for yourself.

Congrats on the 2.3L purchase. You seem to have the same decision making calculus that I did.

The 2.3L just seems lighter on it's feet, as much as I love the naturally aspirated engine.

I skipped the towing package on mine. I didn't want to watch a hitch rust away, and I often joke, "my Explorer is too pretty to tow" ;)

Mine came with the class 2. It's good for a hitch bike rack but not much else.

One thing I have noticed about the 2.3 EB is that you can't find the performance tuning upgrades like you do with the 3.5eb. I might like to play around with a new intake or reprogram the chip to see what I can get out of it.

I didn't bother test driving the 3.5l EB. I think it was safe to assume that it needs no test drive because the numbers speak for themselves.
If it's a decision between the 2.3l or the 3.5l na, I highly suggest test driving them.
IMO, I found the 3.5l na to be the superior all around performer for my needs.

FWIW, i just picked up a 2016 limited with the 2.3L EB. Initially I told the dealer i wasn't interested in the smaller engine, and i agree with the above that the 3.5L EB is the most fun. But i was pleasantly surprised with the 2.3EB after a test drive. Much more acceleration than the regular 3.5, and since I'm not towing the 10 less HP doesn't make a difference to me. I get a few extra MPG to boot.

like everyone else said, test drive it and make the determination for yourself.

You are correct. I had the 3.5L NA engine in a 2014 XLT. I never liked that combination. I now have the 2.3L Ecoboost in a 2016 Base, and it is, by far, the superior vehicle. Also some of the changes Ford has made from the 2014 to 2016 models makes the 2016 a superior vehicle overall. I'm sure the more upscale trims would only be that much better.

I chose the 3.5 Ecoboost after driving my fathers Ecoboost F-150 for a week. I immediately went to look and see if they put the motor in any SUV's. (I was locked in on a Jeep GC before finding the EX-Sport).

The motor was the reason I bought the truck. If I could afford a Jeep SRT-8, I would have made that jump, but I couldn't rationalize spending that kind of money.

I have put over 10k miles on the truck since buying it in February and I am averaging 19.5mpg. I love the power the truck has.

I'm sure the other motors are great, but I bought the Sport so that I could have a big SUV but still have some fun when I step on the gas. Also like the tuning potential with the Sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another thing to consider when buying the 2.3l.
Final performance numbers will depend on the fuel you purchase, and timing may dial itself back with the use of regular.
Not uncommon with turbocharged, or higher compression engines.
http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=4973

Back