• Register Today It's free!

ecu/pcm pins

Stumpy33

Reaction score
City, State
fowey,cornwall
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer v6 4.0sohc
Hi all. This has probably been requested before,but I cant find it here........Does anyone have a diagram of the pins in the ecu/pcm. I removed my pcm/ecu today because I am having starting problems.
There are two pins in the unit,bottom row,right hand side,the two pins closest to the fixing bolt hole which are pressed together and fit into one hole in the female socket part.
Does anyone know what these two pins do??
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are referring to pins 90 and 91 (There are small numbers in the plastic labeling the corner pins.) Pin 90 is the reference voltage -- the 5V supply to the PCM and various sensors. Pin 91 is signal return, or the ground to be used for circuits powered with Vref. If those are shorted together, that would disable the PCM and many sensors, and probably blow a few fuses too. It certainly would be enough to keep the car from starting. Try to straighten those pins out, but don't break them or you will be looking for a new PCM. After you sort that out, you should verify that you are still getting 5V across those pins, and if not hunt down why.

If you meant the pins on the other side of the bolt, 92 is brake on/off switch and 93 the heater line to oxygen sensor #1 . Not likely those are what you have.

This should help: 104 pin PCM Pin layout

The two pins in one hole sounds like an export oddity.

Or, more likely, someone disengaged the connector and managed to bend a pin when re-inserting. Is the O/P sure that there is no socket for that second pin to go into?

Thanks for the replies guys. 2000StreetRod....my mistake,the vehicle is indeed a 98 model.I must remember to change that on the profile.
I would agree with the " Export Oddity " theory. Up until a week or so ago the truck ran fine. I discovered this " oddity " by accident yesterday,after emoving the pcm/ecu. I have posted in another thread " Non Starter " describing the current problems I am having. Your input and ideas on this would be most welcome.
1998Exp,there is a hole for the second pin to fit into. I will carefully try to straighten then pins and reassemble.Like I said though,the truck has run fine for the past 8 months or so since I bought it.
Many thanks for your help.
Ian

It is pins 92 and 93 that are squashed together. I just looked at the diagram. Since having the truck I have had the same flashing overdrive light as the author of that thread.

As said though,none of the above is the cause of my current problems.These engines can be pretty frustrating lol.

Back