• Register Today It's free!

ECU question

Papafsh123

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Hi, I'm new and have a question about replacing the ECU on my 1995 Explorer. As of yesterday my truck won't start. Everything works fine, it turns over and all electrical works fine. I hooked up a reader to get fault codes but it would not connect to the ECU? I'm thinking the unit just failed and needs to be replaced and I've found them on-line. I want to have the existing unit checked before I fork out $300 though. Anyone have experience with this that could give me some clues?

Thanks,

LB

welcome

When you say the reader would not connect, do you mean you could not physically connect it? Do you know if it's a EEC-IV? I'm not sure what was in the 95, but if it is a EEC-IV, located under the hood, I'm almost positive there is an in line fuse just before the EEC.

Perhaps someone else could tell us what PCM was in the 95 and then we could work from there. If you ask around here you won't find many people telling you to go ahead and replace your EEC, they are pretty dam bulletproof and almost never fail.

Bob

Welcome to this forum! It's an EEC-IV system. Do you see a check engine light illuminate when you turn the ignition key? You could have a bad ground connection, a blown fuse, or a bad PCM relay.

Back