Eddie Bauer Leather Interior | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Eddie Bauer Leather Interior

rrg9946

Reaction score
City, State
danvers ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am looking to freshen up my 2006 EB. I am looking for options on the leather or finding oem replacements. Any tips would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the leather shot? Why not clean it up and use some conditioner. Just picked up some Lexol Leather cleaner and Lexol Leather conditioner at Wally World, for my new to me 2006 Limited. They were both in spray bottle and about $7.00

Is the leather shot? Why not clean it up and use some conditioner. Just picked up some Lexol Leather cleaner and Lexol Leather conditioner at Wally World, for my new to me 2006 Limited. They were both in spray bottle and about $7.00

Prior owner was a smoker so I think the smell is in the seats. I'm replacing the carpet as well. Unless anyone has a way to remove smoke smell

Prior owner was a smoker so I think the smell is in the seats. I'm replacing the carpet as well. Unless anyone has a way to remove smoke smell

Get your hands on an Ozone Generator, leave it run, in the car, for 24-48 hours and you will never smell a whiff of cigarette smoke.

I happen to have one that I bought for my heavily smoked in office. It had become so rank when you opened the door in the morning, you wanted to gag.
I bought the unit, made a little platform for it to sit on top of a cubicle divider and let it run all night. The next morning when I opened the door it smelled as fresh as a thunderstorm.

I continued to use that generator for a couple more years, with people still smoking in the office, and it remained as fresh as a daisy.

My daughter, in Pennsylvania complained that her rental house smelled of mildew or something. I recommended the Ozone to her and she was able to find a place that rented them. She kept it for a week and had no more complaints about the smell.

I kept my little generator and when I just bought a 2006 Explore, before Christmas, it too had a faint smell of a long ago smoker. The second owner that I bought it from had owned it since 2010. They did not smoke. The smell was slight but unmistakeable. I put my generator in it for over night and poof, no more smell.

I would shampoo your carpets with a non-ammonia cleaner and clean and condition your leather seats. Maybe light brush and vacuum the headliner, then use an ozone generator. You will be wowed and at a heck of a lot cheaper cost.

I've also heard good about Ozone generators, but have no first hand experience.

Some might cringe at the thought, but steam is powerful. McCulloch steam cleaner (black & yellow) should set you back $125 or so new, sometimes pop up on Craigslist where I got mine for far less. Your leather, vinyl, cloth headliner, carpeting all porous and absorb the cigarette smoke. For the leather, I'd spray with a all purpose cleaner, apply the steam and scrub with a wet towel. Leather has oils that keep it soft, so as soon as you are done, apply some quality conditioner. Lexol is good, Saddlemans, Meguiars, etc. Seats are easiest to do out of the vehicle, which will give you room to tackle the headliner and carpet. Many grocery stores rent carpet shampoo'ers to do the carpet and get the upholstery attachment for the headliner. Steam the door panels, dash, and rear plastics. You will be amazed. Good luck!

Ozone is O3. a powerful oxidizer but short lived. It literally burns out the smell. Shampoos that use ammonia, maybe perfumed at the start, will leave a residue and as soon as the perfume evaporates, will leave an acrid smell. This is especially true if it ever gets reactivated by any future moisture.

Back