EE Roots-type blower | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EE Roots-type blower

John Vanek from Explorer Express called me last week about another issue, and told me in passing that they have 4 blower kits left in stock for the 5.0 X. When they're gone, that's it - no more. The set up is too expensive warrant another run.
With tax and shipping it's a tad over $3600.

Now, I'm far from cheap - but ya know, the truck was over $30k, the brakes suck, it's painfully slow, I probably have over $3k in mods, and another $3600 for a blower isn't too appealing..........I'm seriously considering cutting my losses and buying a Lightining.

Anybody have any input pro or con? My buddy tells me (and I know for a fact) it would be way cheaper to buy the S/C and keep the X than to get ino another new car and all the depreciation....but I'm kinda bored with the thing, hard to find parts, etc...

roof.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The blower setup for that kit is very similar to mine. And on the 5.0, you'll see more gains. Are you gonna install it yourself? Installation could cost well over $1000, so consider that. All in all though, your friend may be right in terms of depreciation and the costs of a new car. Don't forget your insurance will go up too.

With patience, the right parts, and $$$, you can make your X pretty fast with not much more than that kit.

MY GOD!!! you just posted a pic of my X! except for the rear wing and 97-up rear hatch, we have twins.:D right down to the factory grey running boards. anyway, i have been looking into the EE charger for sometime. for reasons way to long to list here, ive decided to go with a powerdyne. check out troll's site or superchargersonline.com. the EE charger would be better if youre gonna keep the motor relatively stock and just want more power across the powerband. as far as install, i have helped a friend put a roots-style charger on a 95 5.0 stang. if you can change oil/spark plugs and you can follow directions (i.e. you can read) you will have no problems installing it yourself. it may seem intimidating at first, but its not that bad at all. as far as selling it and getting a Lightning (which i happen to love,) that will be ultimately up to you. i have gone through the boredome with mildly modified vehicles before, so i know what youre going through. i will say it will be cheaper to get the charger and keep your X, and with a few mild mods there is no reason your 5.0 cant at least run with a lightning. you will also have the bragging rights of having one of the few 13-14 second xplorers around. anyone with the dough can go out and buy an off the shelf lightning and have a fast truck. you will have the pride and respect of doing it yourself. you will also have the ultimate sleeper; when people see a lightning they EXPECT it to be fast, when people see an X they expect it to be slow. imagine the look on that kids face in the eclipse with the 5'' exhaust tip and the hot-pink plug wires when you smoke his a$$! (nuthin against tuners, there just seems to be an abundance of them in my area that have mild engine mods, big wheels, and a formula-1 spoiler that cant run with my relatively slow X.) anyway, all of this will ultimately be up to you. good luck.

You got a sweet looking X. The used car market seems to be horrible around here. I've seen 98 X's going for 12k-15k. some v6's for only 10k. If you were to get a new lightning it would be fast but wouldn't be quite as roomy as the X. I say stick with the X

Thanks, guys. The issue is not the difficulty of the installation, EE faxed me the install instructions, it would be no problem. The issue is that it would still be an Explorer. It is what is is both - good and bad. Advantages are that it looks cool, and you sure don't see a lot of modded X's. Disadvantages are that it's still an X.
Since I live in CA, I have to go EE or Powerdyne because of the bi-annual smog inspections. I don't want the hassle - DMV can make your life miserable.

Jimbo (thanks for the response) put it best: "boredome with mildly modified vehicles" syndrome.

Am I trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?
Throwing good money after bad?
You might not be the best audience for these questions (you guys are probably biased, huh?) but I still appreciate any and all input......

Well, I've done many power mods to my OHV and I'm probably in the low 14s. It depends how fast you wanna go, and how far you can go while still being cost-effective. Personally I think a fast X you built is cooler than a fast Lightning you bought.

Its like troll. He has a built explorer, but he beats out those 90,000$ Ferraris. Ferraris are bought at fast speed, anyone can drive a ferrari and go fast. Not everyone can be like troll and have, what like 600+ hp? Damn i love that truck!

if you are like me, then you are damned for all eternity to a life of modifying every vehicle you will ever own. ive got Tim Allen Syndrome, or as my friends call it T.A.S. i have spent most of my short 27 years dumping (wasting, maybe) a butt-load of money on vehicles that i have later sold for less than half of total money invested. i seem to be NEVER satisfied. hell, i originally bought my X for me and my wife to share. she has a MR2, and at the time i had a 75 bronco set up for rockcrawling (re: not really street legal.) i would drive the X during bad weather (bronc is topless) and she would drive it to haul around friends/groceries/etc. since then, i have taken it over. i have dreams of 450 hp on the motor, painting all chrome to match the body, etc. where will it end? who knows... but i will say i will have my X for a long time; now that im married i cant just run out and sell a vehicle that i put $30k in for $15k, only to turn around and buy something i will start modifying. go ahead and get the lightning; i think they are sweet and considered gettin one when they came out. sooner or later you will get bored. then get the higher boost pulley. then when thats not enough you can upgrade to a bigger intercooler for low $$$ and big hp. and then a t-rex pump and bigger injectors. and then when thats not enough, add a 75-100 shot of nos. oops, you just slung a rod, so get a new (stronger) short block...etc. you get the idea. anyone else have this problem?

Ouch!!!!

That hurts!
(because it's true)

So I go and test drive the Lightning.....in less than 2 minutes the salesman insists that I get out immediately and let him drive. On the way back to the dealership, I get the lecture about how expensive the Goodyear tires are, and how dangerous "spinning the tires" is when there is traffic around.

As my wife points out - maybe I'm not mature enough to have a 360HP vehicle. (I'm in my late 30's!)

i have never been and never will be mature enough to have a 360 hp vehicle. thats why im shootin for 450:D and yea, unless you were doin donuts in the middle of the intersection, i dont see what this guys problem was. if you go to test drive a high performance vehicle, you usually want to see how well it performs.

oh man, that sucks. i remember when me and dad went shopping for his vette (he had a 96 collector edition, but its gone now.) when we went for a test drive, the dealer basically said to go out and "really see what it can do", heh; but i guess they cant all be cool.

Back