shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
I posted a while back with timing chain iuuses on a 98 Explorer 5.0L

What had actually happened is that I had a intake valve stuck closed #6 Cylinder. It bent the pushrod to a banana!

The heads are now off and in the shop getting a 3 angle valve job.

The bottom end of the block is good. Factory hone markings are still there after 105K miles. Lifter valley was clean with no sludge build up.

I am looking into installing a mild street cam. (E303 in mind). Ford Tech Line stated EEC-V will not work with this long duration camshaft. It will run rich.

Now I am researching tuning software. I am looking for possible recommendations and \ or sucess stories, failures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although a popular camshaft the "E" shaft is not appropriate for your application. I would recommend a custom grind with your trucks weight in mind. Go here for a thread on remote tuning. Regardless of which camshaft you use you will have to tune. If intersted contact me. -j

Ditto, if at all possible I recommend a custom cam, plus PCM programming. If possible(budget) I'd suggest raising the compression ratio to go with better PCM and fuel. The difference between fuel grades is still about 10 cents, but tuning can gain you more than the extra cost. Higher compression benefits from better fuel, stock low compression doesn't. I would avoid dropping in a cam without PCM tuning. The engine will run okay, much better than an older Mustang, but not smooth like stock.

For a very low budget stay with the stock combination, cam and all. That alone can run you $1000 if you go through everything. At least double that for a basic upgrade level for compression, cam, and tuning. Regards,

After 105K miles the engine did not leak, slobber or burn oil.

I had great compression on all cylinders except the one with the one with stuck intake valve. It really hurt me to break the factory seals! The factory honing marks are still visible.

I was looking at the Comp Cams 266HR grind. What I need now is a good software to access the EEC-V so I can adjust fuel pulse width and timing.

I did not want to go with headers because I would need to recalculate the exhusat pulse vs. O2 sensor timing.

You could do the remote tuning thing. Go here for information. I sell everything you will need for this.-j

Back