Effects of not running Exhaust/Muffler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Effects of not running Exhaust/Muffler?

surfer1158

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
So the other day i was bored do i pulled the bolts on the flange that connects the muffler section to the 2nd cat. So i took the exhaust system from there back and pulled it off. I am just running the cats right now and i could tell an immediate hp gain, mpg gain, and throttle response. So i have left it off, but it now leaves me wondering if this is bad for my car? and is their a cheap way to quiet it down a little without putting a muffler back on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes there is run strait pipe lager than stock of course to where ever you want it hell thats how I got my dual pipes

So the other day i was bored do i pulled the bolts on the flange that connects the muffler section to the 2nd cat. So i took the exhaust system from there back and pulled it off. I am just running the cats right now and i could tell an immediate hp gain, mpg gain, and throttle response. So i have left it off, but it now leaves me wondering if this is bad for my car? and is their a cheap way to quiet it down a little without putting a muffler back on?

doesn't it sound awesome? lol

My truck lost all low end torque without a muffler. It wouldn't even spin in dirt. Put the muffler back on and it was fine. What would make mine do that and surfer's noticably pick up?

doesn't it sound awesome? lol

lol yes it sounds sick but i think im starting to piss off the neighbors late at night... oh well not my problem... til the cops show up haha

My truck lost all low end torque without a muffler. It wouldn't even spin in dirt. Put the muffler back on and it was fine. What would make mine do that and surfer's noticably pick up?

Sorry to hear that Bar, i couldnt keep my truck under control in the dirt and mud now...lol jk. But im also running the KKM air kit for improved flow. But u may have lost back pressure from pieces missing in ur cat somehow from just burning and melting then kicking out. idk thats weird though

Yeah, I ran without the exhaust from after the second cat for a week but my mileage was horrible, and for some reason I'd let off the gas and the tranny would run like it was downshifting. I put in a Flowmaster 40 series and am pleased. I just wish it was 2.5" piping.

As for your questions earlier, you could always run a high flow cat with 2.5" piping and a good flowing muffler to keep your sound.

Yeah, I ran without the exhaust from after the second cat for a week but my mileage was horrible, and for some reason I'd let off the gas and the tranny would run like it was downshifting. I put in a Flowmaster 40 series and am pleased. I just wish it was 2.5" piping.

As for your questions earlier, you could always run a high flow cat with 2.5" piping and a good flowing muffler to keep your sound.

Yea i can kind of hear that downshifting and see it on the rpm's but its not bad at all. And on this tank ive been getting like 17 city and prob 22 highway which is ridiculous considering the way i was driving. (it was 5 in the morning on the interstate and i was following my friend to our football tourny, and he likes to drive fast, so i had to catch up, got the speedometer almost pointing straight down, had to be at least 105, and the car was still accelerating fast at that point) anyways its driving really well, ill take a look at one of those dynoturbo mufflers, just dont know how im going to install it, dont have the tools.

You could have cut outs and have best of both worlds when u want open them up but when u need to like when the cops show up but them close them :).

what exactly does a cut out do?

Edit: nevermind that question, a cutout could be an easy solution

i would definately get a cut out its better to be able to pass city and county ordinances then to have the cops follow you sound to your house.... LOL hard to say it not me when the exhust is still extremely hot. when the officer tells you he has been following you exhust noise.... LOL almost bit the bullet myself. but then went to cutouts and no more problem.

Back