EGR and Alt. question's when swapping from an 88 to 98 5.0. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR and Alt. question's when swapping from an 88 to 98 5.0.

kpj

Reaction score
City, State
Berwick, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer
I have a 88 5.0HO from a Mustang currently sitting under the hood of my jeep. I blew up the bottom end and found a low mileage 97/98 Explorer motor that I am planning on swapping in. I have a few question's regarding the differences between the two.

First question: EGR. I pulled the stock Explorer TB and 90* elbow and am planning on running the Mustang TB. Will the computer act up if I don't hook up the EGR? or is there kit that I can do away with it all together? I know it won't gain me much, if anything, but I don't have all the parts of either EGR setup. The Explorer EGR has a "old school" EGR style valve off to the side of the 90* elbow.

Second question: Alternator. I have a one wire Powermaster alternator on the 88 that I would like to make work on the 98. I see there is a different bolt pattern, so does someone offer an adapter plate for this? OR, does anyone offer a 1 wire setup alternator for this application? Also, does anyone have a close up pic of the alternator bracket to make sure I have all the pieces?

Third question: Belt routing. Does anyone have a link or pic of how the belt is supposed to be run on the 98? I will look again, but I don't believe I saw a mount for an alternator, so preferably with out would be the best. I think it only has the powersteering pump, water pump, crank pulley, and alternator bracket.

Thanks for any and all help I can get!!!

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait wait wait slow down.
You will still be using the 88 HO computer and fuel injection correct?

You can eliminate the EGR with a simple plug in wiring deal, (if it is disconnected the computer will throw a code unless you bypass it)
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=9

the 98 uses the serpentine belt setup, you cannot eliminate the alternator or the ac compressor for that matter, the belt must travel over all the pullies and idler pullies.

Your 1 wire alternator will never work with the Explroer front dress because it uses a V belt pulley, sounds to me like you want to convert to the serpentine pullies?
Wiring an alternator is simple. the aftermarket can make you any alternator you need.

If you are planning to use the entire 97 5.0L in place of your HO engine, you have alot more to think about then just this. I assume your plan is to retain the HO computer, distributor, etc and jsut tuse the 97 long block?

Need more info/details.

Yes, I plan on using the 97/98 Longblock and using the FI setup from the 88 along with the distributor. The 1 wire alt I have now is setup for a serp belt, so I was wondering if there were any kits available to use the Mustang style setup in place of the late model alt. I didn't want to have to mess with trying to wire up the Explorer style alternator into the mustang wiring harness. Unles, I am I over thinking how hard it is?

I looked a little closer and I must have gotten lucky, because there is no A/C bracket. :) The PS pump is located on the top drivers side. What else am I missing to consider....other than the fact my headers don't work now? :fire: I figure with the distributor from the mustang and all the wiring/FI setup, all I am pretty much doing is using a late model longblock with the same wiring setup I had before. Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I am in the midst of this swap now. :)

Thanks,

Ken

the AC mounts below the steering pump on your new 5.0L.

The alternator is SIMPLE to wire up.

They did not make an Explorer 5.0L without AC and you must have the compressor mounted to run the belt, trust me I tried to get away with no ac compressor.

What intakes are you planning to use?
My 96 Explorer 5.0L uses the same EGR setup and a 93 Cobra mustang, my 97 Explorer 5.0L uses a different EGR setup then the 96. You just need to use the upper intake manifold that has the EGR setup on it similar to your old HO intake, the exhaust connection to the EGR is either internal of the intake or external (hose from the exhaust) 96= internal
97+ external (P heads)

This will make a nice upgrade :)

The EGR is external on this motor. I wonder if I could mount a second alternator in place of the stock A/C location (I know I would have to make a custom mount for it) that I could use for a underhood welder. :D

What would I need to wire the "stock" explorer alternator up? I may go this route, and then just make a custom mount for the powermaster and use it as a welder. Hmmmm, great, now I have the wheels turning. :D

Are there any decent companies that offer a good full length header for a decent price for the P style heads?

Thanks for help.

Ken

no full length headers will fit your frame and steering, not easily anyways ( some notch frames, some modify headers, some build custom, some do all 3)

I suggest you search over at the V8 forum on Rangerpowersports.com

That is of course after you have researched it here :)

Get the wiring harness from the donor truck, even though they dont look like it most alternators are wired similar, one wire or three.
I have had 4 different Ford alternators in my BII< never had an issue building the wiring harness for it to interface with the truck.
Basically a feed goes to the battery, one goes to the fuse box on your 91, the other is a signal for the voltage wire or alt light in your instrument cluster.

On my BII I have the same setup, except I also have an alternator feed that goes to my 1988 under dash fuse box (on your 91 the cab fuse panel is fed with power from your power dist box)

Back