• Register Today It's free!

Egr - Check Engine Soon

randyryanracing

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XL Sport
I feel my truck is out of commision! I have no where to turn except to overpriced service!

HELP - I have a 2002 Explorer XL Sport 4 door V6. It has 45k miles on it and the "check engine soon" light came on. I ran it down to AutoZone and it read EGR Flow. The reader used was a digital text screen.

Well I replaced the EGR valve, still engine light. Check my old EGR valve with vacuum and it works just fine. AutoZone tested as well. I returned the new EGR valve and got the next in line, the EGR Solenoid. Still Check Engine light.

WHAT IS MY NEXT MOVE???

Note: I did unplug the battery during all repairs to reset computer. Please advise if this is correct. I blew air down the EGR pipe to exhaust manifold to blow out any carbon. I removed the entire EGR assembly that is attached to the intake and cleaned. I as well cleaned the EGR valve itself. All were cleaned with Carb Cleaner. I have not replaced any other parts except EGR vavle and Solenoid.

Thanks a TON!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well your best bet is to get a Haynes Manual, as it will tell you exactly what the next step is with a code like that. But, assuming the 2002 are similar to 1997, I would say to check the DPFE sensor.

Check for good vaccum going into your Egr Solenoid. If you have good vacuum there try having someone power braking and check the vacuum going to the Egr.

EGR flow

Let me see if I can be of any service. The code was for EGR flow and its an 02 explorer. If memory serves this uses a DPFE sensor to monitor EGR flow. This sensor monitors pressure on both side of restrictor in the EGR pipe, the D is for Delta(meaning change), P is for pressure, F is for feedback, S is for sensor. This should be a little grey box mounted close to the EGR tube and has 2 little grey silicon hoses going to it. The sensor is prone to failure and the silicone hoses can tear. Check to see that the hoses are in good shape and if they are it is probably the sensor. If the hoses are bad they are special silicone hose. It is an easy diagnosis if you have a scan tool. Just so you dont through away money. I hope I have given you the correct information.

I have a 2002 Explorer and my service engine soon light came on. I had it tested at Autozone and the tester read that I needed a new gas cap. I replaced that and the guy at Autozone reset the computer. THe next day the light came back on. What do I do now?

go back to autozoe I am sure there was more than one problem.

Back