EGR Code After Installing Headers 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR Code After Installing Headers 5.0

Morris Capers

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xlt 5.0 Awd
Hey all, I've installed my obx headers on my 97 5.0. Luckily there are no leaks with my remflex 3003 gaskets. I had to buy a new EGR valve because the old one's thread stripped out removing the old EGR tube so I couldn't install the new one. I purchased a new motorcraft egr valve and everything went together well. After about 100 miles of very mixed driving styles the check engine light came on with a code for insufficient EGR flow. Everything fit tight and no leaks. Im not sure what is exactly causing it. Any suggestions? I cleared the code to see if it was just random but after another 40 miles it came back on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a hard look at the vacuum lines , and make sure your egr gasket is in place and recheck the two hoses going to the dpft also make sure to check the egr bolts and tube fittings

Same thing happened to me. In for updates.

I thought this code was due to a difference in diameter of the aftermarket egr tube VS stock one ? If their is a difference.I thought i herd someone say something about that.

I thought this code was due to a difference in diameter of the aftermarket egr tube VS stock one ? If their is a difference.I thought i herd someone say something about that.

It must be pretty sensitive because there isn't that much difference.

Monitor dpfe pid while grounding trigger side of the evr. Voltage should rise to about 3.5v. if it doesn't and the engine doesn't stumble apply direct vacuum to the egr valve. Does it respond now? If not check for restriction in the egr tube (I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot to drill the primary tube before welding on the egr fitting. I've seen jeep headers with a primary tube not cut to the collector)

The diagnostic goes further but I'm not gonna go into it. Ford egr valves and evr solenoids rarely fail. Most common cause of p0401 is the dpfe but I would make sure you have actual flow first.

I know this is a year old but if anyone else is still flustered by the p0401 code it’s because there are certain obx header EGR tubes that are faulty. They do not have an orifice that belongs right between the two DPFE hose outlets, you’ll notice a little crimp around the tube. Your best bet is to somehow fit your stock EGR pipe to the obx headers. I’m about to reinstall my stock EGR pipe and I’ll post pics to show what I’ve done.

Back