EGR Help - Line Bolt Size? Valve Clean or Buy New? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR Help - Line Bolt Size? Valve Clean or Buy New?

WC Loc

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
New 94 Explorer (to me), took it home and check engine light came on :(

1. Need bolt size
2. Suggestions to clean, buy used, or buy new

Took it to AutoZone, cleared codes, and now they tell me it is running lean and pressue is low on one side.

Put in Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner, noticed a difference on the pep from a dead stop.

Guy told me to look into EGR and clean, so i got a gasket but cannot get the EGR line apart from the EGR valve. Noticed a thread where someone with a 98 twisted the pipe and kinked it... Since the line is a $76 part and the valve $45, i'd rather not do that. My wrenches max out at 18mm and 1inch. Tried a cresent wrench, but at signs of rounding the nut, i stopped.

= Need to know the size i will need at the top and the bottom of the EGR Line.

Also need the size of the bolt where it attaches to the manifold. Just want to make sure i buy the right wrench... My guess is that it is metric since the bolts that hold the EGR Valve are.

Guess while I'm at it I should ask if i should clean it out w carb cleaner, buy used from the junk yard, or buy new? Obviously I will try cleaning b/c it's cheap :)

Appreciate any help / thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think i posted this in the wrong section...

please let me know if i should delete this and move it.

i think i posted this in the wrong section...

please let me know if i should delete this and move it.
You posted it in the correct spot.
If you continued to drive it .. did the light go out? Sometimes the O2 sensors react slow. It may cuase a temperary Lean condition but then catch up.
If the car was turned off then back on, did the light go out?
This happens to me when going on long Highway runs. as soon as I get off the interstate and hit a traffic light, the Check Engine light comes on...withing the next 10 miles the light goes out.
Aside from that.. the engine runs fine ( 20 MPG) and it passes New York Emmisions.

You posted it in the correct spot.
If you continued to drive it .. did the light go out? Sometimes the O2 sensors react slow. It may cuase a temperary Lean condition but then catch up.
If the car was turned off then back on, did the light go out?
This happens to me when going on long Highway runs. as soon as I get off the interstate and hit a traffic light, the Check Engine light comes on...withing the next 10 miles the light goes out.
Aside from that.. the engine runs fine ( 20 MPG) and it passes New York Emmisions.

None of these issues that you had :(

If I continue to drive, it just continues to stare at me...

Actually, the light is OFF from a COLD start. After about several miles or 5 to 10 mins the light will appear once the engine is warm. Afterwards, every re-start the light will pop right on.

Am i going towards the correct direction, thinking it's the EGR?

Thanks for reply, gald I'm in the right spot... After i posted this, found a section called "under the hood". When do i use that section?

None of these issues that you had :(

If I continue to drive, it just continues to stare at me...

Actually, the light is OFF from a COLD start. After about several miles or 5 to 10 mins the light will appear once the engine is warm. Afterwards, every re-start the light will pop right on.

Am i going towards the correct direction, thinking it's the EGR?

Thanks for reply, gald I'm in the right spot... After i posted this, found a section called "under the hood". When do i use that section?
On mine it appears to be a combination of EGR (the pipe was cracked off at the manifold and it is less hassle to replace the line and valve together than to attempt to salvage the valve) and the MAF sensor. I'll know for sure when the parts arive (hopefully) from Rock Auto tomorrow - - I was sure glad to have the acetylene torch available!!!!

Back