• Register Today It's free!

EGR / PFE problem on '96 5L V8

johnhanson

Reaction score
City, State
West Hartford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 V8 5.0L AWD
Am new to your forum. Have checked all the old threads and I see a lot of confusion about EGR, DPFEs, ox sensors, all leading to check engine lights. Well, here's another....
The CEL on by 106K mile V8 has been on & off for several months. Finally had the dealer check it - don't know the codes but he said "requires new EGR and PFE for $415, then we'll check it to see what else is wrong." I have been advised by another owner to replace the EGR & PFE, and also to clean the carbon out of the vacuum lines or replace them.
OK - problem is, my Haynes manual doesn't show me where these parts are. Can anyone explain exactly where they are and what they look like? How hard are they to replace? Is replacing vacuum lines difficult? How do you turn off the CEL??? Thx for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was a thread very recently with a picture of the EGR. Not sure where it is on the 5.0. The DPFE should be right next to it. As for clearing the CEL, simplest way to do it is to disconnect the battery for 30+ minutes.

Don't fall for this. First of all, why would you replace both at the same time? Replace the DPFE first and see it that fixes it. Do it yourself, it is very easy to replace. It is a little metal box with two vaccum hose coming out. It is about 3" by 1.5" and about half and inch deep. I have seen in this forum alone several people who have fixed EGR related codes by replacing their DPFE. DON'T CHANGE YOUR EGR!!! I doubt that is the problem.

Another thing, go ahead and buy an OBD2 code reader, get the codes, and take it back. Tell us what the codes were and you can get better help.

Are you sure the Haynes manual doesn't show what the DPFE looks like, mine does.

Thanks for the help. Took a while, but I finally got the CEL code: P0402. Autozone folks tell me that it has something to do with the exhaust: EGR, DPFE sensor, and / or the OX sensors. This is the thing: its a little hard to start the engine, but it always does start and then runs like a top. Seems fine after it starts. I've got to believe that the EGR & DPFE sensor are ok. Doesn't this sound like OX sensor problems?? Thanks.

where's the pfe?

The 96" 5.0l engine was one model that doesnt have a DPFE instead uses an earlier method of measuring the egr preasure. One less thing! With a po402 code there is provably some carbon build-up in the egr body keeping it from closing completly. The egr is located on the back of the intake plentum and has a position sensor on it. It's a bit hard to get to so you may need a little time.

Back