• Register Today It's free!

EGR Position Sensor

MRDANBLANK

Reaction score
City, State
Campobello, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Does anybody know where the EGR Position Sensor is located on a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT with a 2.5 cylinder engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you referring to the DPFE sensor?

Yes. I am getting a code of P0402. EGR Overflow. I was told to check the hoses on the sensor to make sure that there is no cracking or dry-rot. I am also getting a spark knock. I read that if the sensor is going bad, it will show a code of P0402 and could cause spark knocking. P0402 does not mean that the EGR valve is bad. If the sensor is going bad, then the code will say that it is the EGR valve. Because it cannot relay back to the computer whether or not the EGR valve is bad or not. It will just show an EGR failure. I figured I would try the cheaper of the two.
I saw a pic of where it is at on a V6. But I own a 4 banger. Not in the same position.
I believe I know the general area of where it's at. I was actually kind of hoping someone might have a photo of it so I can see a visual representation.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Yeah, it doesn't show where it's at. I know what it looks like. I guess I'll just have to keep looking. I'm thinking it's towards the back of the engine.

Check the sticker under the hood.

Thanks. I'll check that out after work, today. I'm going to go pick up the part after work. Maybe I can get it swapped out if I need to, this afternoon.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Also, if it is a defective sensor will it cause a type of spark knock while at idle speeds?:confused:

Back