EGR problem on 96 5.0 AWD LTD-Any help?(I did search forum) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR problem on 96 5.0 AWD LTD-Any help?(I did search forum)

TPL96

Reaction score
City, State
Melville, Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited V-8
Greetings Forum -

I've been searching around for advice on how to repair and clear this EGR related code for over an hour w/no luck. So here goes my thread...

Pulled PO401 code insuff flow detected a couple months ago. I've been driving w/ the CEL on and lately the engine has started to run rougher and seems to backfire through the intake system under uphill load in high gear.

I started poking around the engine bay this afternoon and to my surprise the PCV valve was not seated in the engine. I reinstalled it and the CEL went off after a few minutes only to return in 1 mile or so (bummer).

The vehicle has about 93K on the clock and is generally reliable.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what parts I should repair/replace as I'd like to have everything on hand before I start.

Also, is it best to remove the upper Throttle Body intake manifold to gain better access to the EGR and related parts. It's seems like a real knuckle busting job.

Many thanks for your advice/suggestions.

Been searching again on the forum w/o much luck.

Should I purchase the parts ahead of time and take the upper intake manifold off?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Egr

I'm not sure what you mean by "seated". Did the nuts come off?
I changed mine out a while back and I took off the upper intake because I don't like to work cramped.
It may be that it's your egr position sensor, which is located on top of the egr valve. But it's still easier to take the manifold loose. The sensor runs about $30+ and the egr $100+. I would change the sensor regardless as they seem to be prone to failure. You can do a vacuum test on the egr valve to determine if it's working, but while you have it off, clean it well. Put a short piece of tubing on the nipple on the valve and suck on it lightly. The diaphram should move up and down. Other wise replace it also.

Yes, remove the intake elbow, and the EGR is mounted to the back of it. You can check the vacuum on the EGR, and you can probe the sensor to see if it is reading properly. Put vacuum on the EGR and make sure it opens. Could be a tear in the diaphram, and it's not opening.

Back