EGR problems, possibly pcm? Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR problems, possibly pcm? Please help

Shanemm

Reaction score
City, State
Salinas ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 sport
Hey guys a few weeks back my 1998 4.0 OHV Explorer started misfiring bad, not keeping an acceptable idle, and burning tons of unused fuel. It was on my way home from work. Finally the CEL came on as I was parking it. The code brought up was p0402 as I'm sure you know it was excessive EGR flow. So after researching I bought the dpfe sensor. Swapped it and the problem became worse not even staying on with the pedal to the floor. So I changed the EGR valve. Then it wouldn't even start with the top hose on. If I pop the hose off it starts no problem but only for a few seconds. So I replaced the solenoid. And it still won't start. I checked the throttle body. Because someone mentioned that caused their code to pop up. But it was nice and clean. I don't even know where to go from here.i don't see any cracks in the vacuum hoses. Like I said if I pop the hose off it starts but not with the hose on so I believe it has something to do with the EGR system but I can't even think of what. Any and all advice is hugely appreciated. The truck is in my only parking space so I'm having to walk three blocks anytime I need to drive somewhere.

I'm going to check voltages tomorrow. Anyone think it may be the pcm?

Back