EGR solenoid replacement 2002 Expl V-6; YGTBSM!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR solenoid replacement 2002 Expl V-6; YGTBSM!!!

F15E_WSO

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport
Folks,
Need some help here please. I have the SES light on, Went to Advance Auto, took the diagnostic tool, got the 401 code; assured by counter rep that the EGR valve would fix it. Replaced that; got the part late Sunday so squirted some Liquid Wrench on the nuts and threads which made taking the thing off the subsequent weekend cake! But it didn't fix it:mad: I had the battery disconnected and am assuming that cleared the code.

SO a few days later the SES lite comes back on..grrrrrr. Back to the store, same code, now they tell me I need either a DPFE or EGR Solenoid. As I replaced the DPFE about 2 yrs ago and it was 20$ more than the Solenoid and I feel we (the Tech and I) are absolutely guessing now I take the cheaper part.

So if you are still with me, here is where I need the help. Took me ages to find the dang thing (should make them bright day-glow orange if they are going to hide them back there!) and it is dead nuts center of the engine all the way at the back. Surrounded by about 4-ish robust wiring harnesses making it tough to get a tool on it. I can hardly see it.

1. What size socket, wrench, torx do you need to get this thing off?
2. Once off how difficult to get the electrical connector and hoses swapped on the little inlets?
3. Is this such a contortionist nightmare that I should take it to get done and just pay the $$.
4. Is this one of those deals where I have to remove a ton of plastic shields and covers and hoses etc to get near it? Is there a trick?:D

This is two bolts, two little hoses and a connector but the location is making it a nightmare. Any tips or help would be greately appreciated.

THanks in advance
Hank

Back